Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Creating a Tick box

liltbrockie

This topic is 3459 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

What’s a tick box?

I assume you are joking but I'll humour you anyway! :jester:

A tick box is like a check box but instead of a check there is a tick instead. You should be pretty familiar with them, most operating system have been using them for the past 30+ years.

Even Filemaker uses them for its preferences dialog box, look!

WUGUkQr.jpg

I've highlighted the tick box in red.

Go into the stylesheet and change the style "checkbox_set:normal .icon"

from

{ -fm-icon: modern-check; }

to

{ -fm-icon: checkmark; }

You can also change the color there

Good god how did you find that out. Many thanks!

Good god how did you find that out. Many thanks!

My thoughts exactly!  

Given that "-fm-icon:" is a non-standard css extension, I'm astounded that Henk thought to take a stab at guessing alternate values for the property.  Good for you, Henk!

I'm with you, liltbrockie, re the issue of checkmarks—"tick boxes" in your vernacular—vs. FileMaker's "X"s, as indicators for the "checked" state.  I'd argue that the reason that a proper checkmark is superior to an "X" goes beyond merely matching the way checkboxes normally appear in Mac and Windows (for years, as you state), although conformity with UI standards is important, of course.  The bigger issue, as I see it, with an "X" is that this can mean so many different things in modern UIs.  Does it mean "delete" (e.g., a row in a table), "close" (a browser tab), etc.?  In fact, the "close-tab" widget in Safari looks virtually identical to a FileMaker checkbox in its checked state!  (I think that older versions of Safari used to enclose the "x" in a circle in the close-tab widget, but it has been a small square for at least the last several versions of Mac OS X.)

Anyway, thanks Henk, for your serendipitous discovery.

Mark

P.S.  It goes (almost) without saying that editing the stylesheet itself (a practice strongly discouraged by FMI, back when FMP12 came out) is potentially fragile, as any changes can, and probably will, be overwritten on v-rev updates.  OTOH, writing those changes into your file by saving as a custom theme should protect them against such overwrites.

I copied a theme file to Application Support > FileMaker > Extensions > Themes.

Renamed and edited that file. Used this theme in a test layout. Copied and pasted it to a real layout and saved it as a new style in my custom theme.

Finding he spot was easy. Guessing the other name was trial and error.

• Like 1

I copied a theme file to Application Support > FileMaker > Extensions > Themes.

Renamed and edited that file. Used this theme in a test layout. Copied and pasted it to a real layout and saved it as a new style in my custom theme.

Finding he spot was easy. Guessing the other name was trial and error.

I think you are amazing.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Sorry, i got late to the party - i can not seem to find that path "/Applications/FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/Resources/Themes/" is there somewhere i should go to enable it because i get lost when i get to /Applications/FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced.........

i can not seem to find that path "/Applications/FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/Resources/Themes/"

Probably because – according to your profile – you're on Mac OS 9 (aka “Classic”) …  :getlost:

OK, just kidding – but maybe update your profile to “(Mac) OS X 10.9”?! (which I gather is what you're on)

An application in OS X is a folder in disguise, a so-called “package”; in the Finder, use the context menu to open that package, and you'll see a folder structure where you can follow the path described above.

OK, just kidding – but maybe update your profile to “(Mac) OS X 10.9”?! (which I gather is what you're on)

:) Ahaaa......that is done - thanx

I really do not know what i am not doing or where i am not going but i do not get there, i do not see the application or folder file "Filemaker Pro Advanced.app", see snapshot - excuse me please i am new to the Mac as i am to Filemaker.

post-111998-0-56163700-1416230609_thumb.

i do not see the application or folder file "Filemaker Pro Advanced.app", see snapshot

The file you're after – "Filemaker Pro Advanced.app" – is the file called just "Filemaker Pro Advanced" in the rightmost column. Right-click on it and select “Show Package Contents”.

btw, you don't see the extension because a user can decide to display (or hide) filename extensions like ".app" in the Advanced tab of the Finder Preferences; in your system (or user account), this option obviously hasn't been checked (I think its off by default).

btw, you don't see the extension because a user can decide to display (or hide) filename extensions like ".app" in the Advanced tab of the Finder Preferences; in your system (or user account), this option obviously hasn't been checked (I think its off by default).

I just learned that, only i did not observe that the app extension displayed, i was too much on the expectation of seeing this file as a folder(please do not ask what type of folder will have an extension "app")

Ohh, i been there all the time, what should myself do to myself :D sorry for causing you all that exhaustion.

Dankeschön!!!

This topic is 3459 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.