Server Maintenance This Week. ×

SQL text as container in FM

This topic is 3708 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

More and more as I go on, I wonder if the SQL link ups I've seen work come from one flat table.  I'm trying to create a Staff Database interface which comes from many tables in SQL.  I have created a view as one source, but that doesn't cut it in many regards - especially when updating data.  Of course it could otherwise just be my lack of knowledge  :hmm:

One example I'm currently working on is displaying a filepath as a container image (i.e staff photo).  In SQL I have calculated it as {serverpathstuff from SQL with ConcatenationofNameandDOB.jpg}.  In filemaker when I pick up this field, it obviously defines it as text, when I need it to display as a container.  The table linked to the layout in FM is the SQL table.  I have created a FM native "BitsAndBobs" type table which has a global field that picks up the field above, and returns it as a container.  i.e 

StaffSQLTable

Field: {ImageFilePath}

Field: {PersonID}

BitsAndBobs

Field: {kf_PersonID}

Field:  {gImage}   (calculation field returning StaffSQLTable::ImageFilePath as container)

I've then used a on record load script to set the StaffSQLTable::kp_StaffID and obviously gImage goes and picks up the image file path.

So, in summary - is there a better way to display a text string as an image container on FM, when the layout is directly linked to a SQL table? 

TIA

Can't you add a calculated container field to the SQL table in FileMaker? Technically, you're not adding it to the SQL table, just FileMaker's shadow table, but from FileMaker, it almost looks like the calculated field existed in the SQL table.

It's not entirely clear from your description but it sounds like you are using FM's ESS feature to work with external SQL data natively in FM.

The external database's binary data is not supported in ESS so there is no native way to do this.

I'm sure there are many work arounds but those are going to have a lot of moving parts... so the first question is: are you aware that external binary data is not supported?  If yes, are you working on a workaround?  (Apologies, like I said, it's not very clear from your initial post)

This topic is 3708 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.