Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Some problems accessing our FM database locally and remotely

This topic is 3669 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies
We have FM 12 Pro database on a Mac Pro server in our office here in China. Most of us can access the database via Open RemoteLocal Hosts apart from one of our guys who doesn't see any files appearing after highlighting our network path blue. Some of us can also access the DB on remote networks and via VPN's however same thing again, some guys don't see any files after highlighting the correct network path via Favorite Hosts.

I have already accessed our FM database from various networks in China and also using a VPN with a UK IP address. One of our guys in Australia wasn't able to access it and one of our guys here on the local network couldn't access the database via the Local Hosts network path.

I think everyone has tried turning off their firewalls etc without success.

We will eventually move the server to Singapore but some users will still need access from China.

Any ideas on why some can't access the DB and what we should do?

Assuming that the guys can see some files hosted on some servers but not others, then it could be Latency.

If the latency on the network between those people and the host is too big the connection may take too long and FM times out.

But first of all, establish that they can in fact connect to a host that is much closer to them, that will rule out anything that is wrong with their FMP install.

Hi De, and welcome to the Forum,

I moved this from "FileMaker Pro 12" to "FileMaker Server 12”, because the General topic for the different versions is restricted to the discussion of the Tool, Functions and Features that were introduced in that release of FileMaker.

If you have any questions about my action, please contact me via Private Message.

• Newbies

Assuming that the guys can see some files hosted on some servers but not others, then it could be Latency.

If the latency on the network between those people and the host is too big the connection may take too long and FM times out.

But first of all, establish that they can in fact connect to a host that is much closer to them, that will rule out anything that is wrong with their FMP install.

Wim, we have one server which is in currently situated in China and we have a few users here in China and in the Asia Pac region. I have been able to access the DB via other Chinese networks and via VPN using a UK IP address. There are another two users in Singapore & HK that have yet to try and access, I'll see if they are able to access, if not then it could be latency as you suggest. If this is the case, what can we do about that? 

With such a global access requirement you would be far better off with a professional hosting service.

It may not fix the (possible) latency issue, but it will provide higher bandwidth and a more robust connection as the hosting service is likely to be much closer to the Internet backbone.

If you have no data residency issues with another entity (the cloud host) having access to and control over your files then that may be an option.

If it is an issue then you need look at reducing that latency and perhaps get more dedicated lines between the offices.  Talk to your telecom provider about options for that.

• 4 weeks later...

This topic is 3669 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.