complex gui interface

This topic is 8202 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've got a client who wants to be able to move his data around on the screen - he's doing scheduling for a manufacturing process - and I'm probably going to have to write a front-end to do the graphical interface. Is there any support for drag-and-drop within FMP? What I mean to ask is, is it possible for a user to grab an item in a list and drag it into a location (say, "zone a" or "zone b"), in which case the item being dragged then gets "zone a" put into its "location" data field?

I hope I'm making sense, but I feel there's no way to do this in FMP, and I'll have to do the front-end after all.

FMP doesn't support drag & drop with reation to elements on a layout

I suppose you could do things with portals where one portal is a list of options or items then you click on it to select it and then you can click a "move" button another portal could be the results of the items moved. And the item in the original portal disappears.

Hi stanley,

FileMaker does support drag and drop selection of data. You can probably use this to achieve the effect you want.

Go to the Edit-Preferences-Application... Preferences dialog. Under the General tab you will find a check box for "Enable Drag and Drop..."

At MacWorld last summer we showed a fashion industry database that uses Drag and Drop to assemble catalog pages with ad hoc dragging of images, by users, onto blank pages. Works on Windows too. Very cool.

Good luck!

This topic is 8202 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.