Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Making scrpits work on the web....

This topic is 8334 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database that contains buttons, which will active different scripts. I would also need others to be able to access these buttons via web browser. So far I have bought FM unlimited, upgrade to 5.5 and the all the web plug-ins. I just can

To activate scripts over the web you need to include the -Script tag in your form eg

<form action="FMPro" method="post">

<input type=hidden name="-Db" value="yourdatabasename">

<input type=hidden name="-Lay" value="the_layout_in_your_database"

<input type=hidden name="-Format" value="page_returned_to_client_with_result.htm">

HTML etc....

<input type=text name="name_of_a_field_in_your_database_to_add_the_value that_is_typed_in_here">

<input type="hidden" name="-Script" value="name_of_your_script">

<input type="submit" name="-New" value="Add Record">

</Form>

This example would add a record to a database (-New action) and execute the script named with the -Script tag.

You could do this with a search (-Find) form, update (-Edit) form delete (-Delete) form etc etc....

You really should use custom web publishing (DIY) it doesnt take that long and you only need a basic HTML editor to do it.

hope this helps

laugh.gif" border="0

I'm not too sure what "custom web publishing" is do you mean a I need a program like WEBSTAR? I guess I am very new to the FM pro WEB companion. Would it be easier to get FM delveloper?

Any input would be helpful,

Thanks,

RET

Custom web publishing is Writing your own web pages (called format files) using HTML (Hyper-Text Markup) and CDML (Claris Dynamic Markup).

You can get Visual HTML editors that do all of the donkey work for you (making tables etc etc) all you do is plan the layout (much like "trying" to layout a document with MS Word - top down using tables floating boxes etc)

All you have to do then is go to code/HTML view in the editor and add your CDML tags. You can get books on this which tell you what tags you need when and what they relate to in your database. My post earlier was an example of CDML tags that will add a record to a database and execute a script. It doesn't have to get any more complex than that if you don't want it to!

You don't need developer, you don't need to do anything with WebSTAR cos your talking lots of cash to setup/buy your own web server, leased line routers, firewall, Static IP range, domain names and management, etc etc etc etc etc (i know i've done it!) You will need a Filemaker hosting service (search this forum for posts on that) that will host your database and format files for you so the format files have a database to talk to.

laugh.gif" border="0

"You can get Visual HTML editors that do all of the donkey work for you (making tables etc etc) all you do is plan the layout (much like "trying" to layout a document with MS Word - top down using tables floating boxes etc)

"All you have to do then is go to code/HTML view in the editor and add your CDML tags. ..."

Yes it sounds so simple. Yet when you make a mistake and don't understand the html code which you just botched, you will find great difficulty in correcting your mistake. An option to a visual editor is to spend the time and energy necessary to learn html.

"I have a database that contains buttons, which will active different scripts."

You need to be aware that ScriptMaker

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 8334 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.