All fields on layout

This topic is 8093 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Alison,

You are not doing anything wrong.

If when you choose move all, all the fields jump across and you complete the wizard for the new layout they should all be there.

Which layout are you using. Have you tried a different type of layout.

It sounds like you might have another bug.

quote:

Originally posted by Andy Gaunt:

If you want a fresh perspective you can send me the file(s) and I can have a look at them for you.

Dan, if you read this.... I couldn't help it. Come on, it has been a while since I have asked for any files. Withdrawals!!!
laugh.gif

lol

Alison, were you the one who had problems with a recovered database? If so, I get the feeling that the same cause is behind this problem as well.

"There's something rotten in the state of Denmark."

Thanks for the suggestion Andy, but the clone still doesn't work. It's a dbase I was developing with only 5 records and was itself a backup clone of the versions that screwed up last week when FM kept crashing.

Looks like the damage is much older than I thought. And like I need to totally start again with this file.

I wish there was some kind of utility that could "scan" FM files for bad bits before you get too far down the line and let you know which bits need recreating.

Thanks guys. Yes, it was me with the non-recovery problems.

This is definitely a Denmark scenario and I am sick at heart. frown.gif

I've started to build the file again (hey, spring-cleaning is fun!) and all is well now. I still think it'd be useful to have a utility - maybe a kind of Recover? - that would pinpoint the damage and give you the option of recreating parts of a file.

Though this be madness, yet there is method in it.

Your problem points out why it is risky to use a recovered file. Neither you nor a user can trust the recovery process...most of the time the recovered file will be fine, other times it will be just garbage. We all learn the hard way. I have automated my backup procedures to zip my files and copy them onto a zip drive where I can store over 1 month of work. For a user, my solution creates a zip of all the files and writes the 1 zip to a backup folder. I also give them the option of sending the zip file to a removeable drive like a Zip. If they should have a problem, I have a Utility.FP5 file that upzips everything automatically.

[ March 20, 2002, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Steveinvegas ]

quote:

Originally posted by Alison Opfermann:

Though this be madness, yet there is method in it.

What I get for quoting Shakespeare to a Brit.

If rebuilding the database from scratch fixes the problem, I'd bet that the recovery problem Steveinvegas mentioned is probably the cause.

The rest is silence. tongue.gif

Is this hapenning again and again? Is it possible that the root of the problem stems from something outside of the actual FMP files? Have you run any disk utility apps or re-installed FMP?

I agree that I would love to see some diagnostic tools for FMP files!!!

I "zip" a backup of my development each day, one copy going to my iDisk, one going to an archive folder, and one copy going to a Compact Flash card. I no longer trust zip drives (had a lot of trouble with reliability). Compact Flash gives me a stable and small alternative for backup that I can carry in my pocket to my clients.

I am sure all of us have some terrifying stories of losing work and learning the hard way. I hope all works out!

This topic is 8093 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.