script to open file an auto re-enter same user credentials?

This topic is 3590 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

it is possible to have a button that links to open file network database and auto entry the same user login and password?

we have about 10 users, and they have to re enter manually the login and pass when they open new file from button link.

If the file you have open has an account name and password that you are logged in with and you open another file, FileMaker will attempt to pass these credentials to the file being opened. If there is a match, then the login process for that file automatic and the user never sees a dialog to connect with username and password.

Open File... script step should be sufficient for what you want to do.

If the credentials do not have an exact match, then the user will be presented with a dialog, BUT if the File Options are setup to automatically login with an account name and password, then you will not see the login dialog appear and the file will be opened with the account name and password stored in the File Options.

You could then execute a script from your parent file that performs and execute script step in the new file and passes the credentials (providing you have stored them in some manner) as a script parameter to the new file, where it is then parsed out and then you just use the Relogin script step to change the connected account on that file.

You could then execute a script from your parent file that performs and execute script step in the new file and passes the credentials (providing you have stored them in some manner

Oy!  NO!!

Don't ever store user credentials as part of data.  Use the FM security schema, don't bypass it.  Any bypass typically leads to compromised security and more attack angles.

As a best practice I agree. However, scripting user account creation etc. in a separation model requires you to capture it in variables for at least the short time it is needed before purging it.

That's where External Authentication shines; it removes the need for scripted account creation altogether.

Yes that is great as long as External Authentication is an available option. Not everyone has an Open Directory or Active Directory server handy for this type of thing.

Yes that is great as long as External Authentication is an available option. Not everyone has an Open Directory or Active Directory server handy for this type of thing.

You don't need Active Directory or Open Directory for external authentication.

It also works with local accounts on the FMS machine if neither AD or OD is available.

You don't need Active Directory or Open Directory for external authentication.

It also works with local accounts on the FMS machine if neither AD or OD is available.

This is why I love this board. :)  Nothing but good happens when knowledgeable people come together to share information.  I will look into this option more. Thanks Wim!

After looking again, I remember looking through the documentation before and being a confused on the Local account options once I started to really dig in to the instructions beyond the summaries.

After a quick search however, I found this helpful info from Soliant which is a bit easier to follow.

http://www.soliantconsulting.com/blog/2009/02/using-local-os-accounts-for-filemaker-external-authentication

When using cloud based FM servers, is this is even an option?

When using cloud based FM servers, is this is even an option?

Depends on the hosting provider and your choices there.  If you are co-locating your server then you own it and can do anything with it that you like.  Same if you pay for a dedicated server.

If you are sharing space on a multi-tenant server then you may not have the option to create accounts and groups on the server's OS.

This topic is 3590 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.