Objects on Tabs Appearing on Every Tab

This topic is 2226 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This has been a repeating issue since I started working with FM12+

I have an object that is fully within the dimensions of a tab. It appears on every tab. I can't get it to stop. I need it to be on ONE tab but no matter how small I make it, removing anchors, nothing gets it to stop appearing on every tab.

Mac OSX Mavericks (but it happened on Snow Leopard too) FM Pro Advanced 13 (but it happened on 12 too)

I would suggest recreating the tab and its associated controls from scratch and deleting the errant one. I've experienced some unpredictable behavior with object placement within tabs and this was the only way I could fix it.

Hi Lauren

The reason is most probably that the object is not contained within your tab control.

So, very short background; The new design interface that was introduced in FM12, works in a very different way, that we were used to pre 12.

We were used to just make sure that the object would be within the boundaries of the object (such as a tab control) in order to be contained within the parent object.

In 12+ an object is not automatically contained in a parent object, even if its boundaries is within the parent one. This is a good thing, but we need to get used to this and FMP needs some fine tununing, which already happened in 13.

So, enough talking, a way to fix it, is to cut the object, click on the parent object where you want the child to sit and paste. Then you paste the child object into the parent object. Sometimes it can be helpful to make the child object small and then resize when it is pasted into the parent object.

Same procedure with portals. Here it can be helpful to make the portal 1 row and resize, so the row will be very big, when you paste the child object and nudge it to it's final position. And then resize the portal and make it "normal".

I have seen this as a "problem" mostly with converted solutions.

• 2 weeks later...

It was contained within the tab. I figured it out and its definitely a bug. If I select an object or a group of objects and enter their new location as an xy coordinate in the inspector's left top fields in pixels, it all breaks down and the object become disconnected from the slides, tabs or portals it sits on. This is fixed by moving it around a bit with the mouse. I have done my layouts this way for years and years so its pretty annoying but it is what it is. A bug.

This is an known issue.  One must be sure everything is within the enclosing object and sometimes you must repeat placing it there because it is sensitive.  It seems to be more of an issue with converted (12) files than those created in 13.

It is because now, objects are truly WITHIN enclosing objects.  For example, if you place a button on a tab panel and decrease the size of the panel, the button can disappear but it remains within the panel, unlike prior versions where it would pop off the panel.   This is also true with portal and overall it is a good thing since now portal fields move with a portal (which encloses them).

You can even use this ability to hide objects on a slider, popup or tab control ... or the opposite, you can lose objects same way - I know.  I had a button object-named and layout said it already exists but I went through every object one by one.  Where was it?  I had resized the tab panel and a button was on a secondary panel and was 'lost' to the lower right side.

But yes, Lauren, it shouldn't be that difficult and it is a bit too sensitive.  :-)

If you are of a sensitive nature, you can actually FEEL an object 'catch' as you drag it in and out of enclosing objects ... not always, but when you feel it, you'll recognise what I mean.

• 3 years later...
  • Newbies

This is still a valid article - I had the same problem (FM Pro 16) and thanks to the contributors here - I've fixed it!

I opted for the 'look' but when I 'saw' the problem could understand the 'feel' answer here :-)

David

This topic is 2226 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.