WebDirect : status bar flashes on briefly

This topic is 2828 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a web direct solution which has the opening script which starts with these commands:

Show/Hide Toolbars [Lock;hide]
Show/Hide Menubar [Hide]

Yet when I launch it, the toolbar shows up for about 1-2 seconds as the app launches.   This looks really ugly and unprofessional.

Is there any way to truly hide the toolbar from showing?

What state was the toolbar in *before* you hosted it?

I'd think that if you closed it on Server, opened it locally in FileMaker, and made the default state of the toolbar when opened to be hidden (ie, hide it, close the database - it should be hidden when you next open it), and then re-Host it on Server, then it's default will become Hidden.

Not tested, but I think that should work

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Your idea is sound, but apparently it doesn't work.   There is a workaround if one is willing to edit the CSS files:  http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/fe415e2863?commentId=283335#283335

I can confirm that this works for the status-area, however I've had no luck with the menu-bar this far...

Has anyone figured out which part of the CSS needs to be altered to prevent the menu-bar from flashing?

Kris is referring to the FMS 13.0v5 update I believe:   http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13886

Thank you for the information. I just tested it, after upgrading to FMS 13.0v5.

The status bar no longer shows when hidden. That's good!

However, this does not prevent the menu bar from briefly appearing. If a user is fast enough, she/he can execute a menu item. So it's very important to create a custom menu with only those commands available which the user should have access to.

A FileMaker fix for later, or a bit of CSS would still be great, since the flickering could lead the user to think that the menubar should be available, and it disappeared in error.

• 2 months later...

To hide the menubar (permanently) you can edit the CSS file:

/Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/jwpc-tomcat/fmi/VAADIN/themes/default/styles.css

and replace these characters:

.v-menubar,

(note the trailing comma)

with this:

.v-menubar{display:none},

This hides the menubar, although there will still be a grey strip which shows for a second, so this is not visually perfect.

• 1 year later...

I have not tried it in 15, but as of 14 there is a new setting that seems to work without requiring CSS editing:  Go to File / File Options / Open tab and click the Hide All Toolbars checkbox.

• Like 1

This topic is 2828 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.