Server Maintenance This Week. ×

DATABASE BACK UP

This topic is 3348 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi good day everyone,

i would like to ask some help or give me some idea about database back up using maped network shred folder.

is it possible to back my database using the shared folder from my another computer?

or any the networked drive map.

It's a bad idea to try and target a network share directly for a backup.

A better approach is to let FMS do the backup locally (faster, more stable) and then use the OS to copy the backup to a network share.

You can use the OS task scheduler to do this, or use a FMS system script schedule.

"mapped" drives live in the user space (assigning a drive letter to a network share), server's function without any user logged into the OS so drive mapping is not necessary.  The OS can target the network share without it being mapped to a drive letter.

• 6 months later...

Hi:

Backing up to the same disk is faster but as we all know is useless on a HDD failure.

I tried a remote backup method that seems to be working fine (I started using it 2 days ago!).

I created a new schedule which backs up to MS OneDrive folder, with a new MS account dedicated only to this. If Ihave a catastrofic failure I have a early morning backup ready every day.

So far I had been using 360 Works SafetyNet, but One Drive seems to be as good and free.

Carlos

Backing up to the same disk is obviously just the first step in a good backup strategy.  Then use the OS tools to copy the backup set to a place on the network or in the cloud.

Making FMS back up to a remote location directly is not recommended.  It's fragile.

I have FMS set to back up to a 4tb physically attached disk. It works fine. The only issue is that for the drive to be available I must be logged into my OS account. I use screen (and require password after x minutes of inactivity) locking to prevent access. Requires a password to view. I know this is not ideal, but it's really fast and I have tons of room.

Rick.

Edit: I wonder if I changed permissions on the external drive could it be made available without a user being logged in at the OS level. Mac.

Your backup method, as described, will almost certainly fail to correctly backup at some point, and you will corrupt the back up files...

Good FM backup methodology:

Back the FMS file up *locally* using the FMS backup routines [1]

Backup the backed up FMS files to where ever you want using backup software, cron script, batch command

Backing up directly to any remote device or service will lead to pain in the long run..

[1] And yes, for local HDD failure, this copy will be lost, but you should have a known good copy from the second step above

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 3348 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.