Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Field with data blank when returning to it

This topic is 3559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

A user creates a new record (using a duplicate record script) in WebDirect (OS X (10.7 I believe)) (tested in Safari and Firefox) (I haven't been able to test with FMP yet), and enters legitimate data in a text field.

The field has Validation > Require > Unique value , with a custom message displayed if not unique -- and that message works when I've tested with another user in the same privilege set.

The user goes to a next or previous record (or runs the duplicate record script), returns to the original record, and the field is blank. Enter the same data and repeat, and the data is committed.

(If the user tabs to another field before changing records, the data remains in the field, until switching to another record, and then back.)

There is nothing in Security that I can see would contribute to this problem (additionally, the data is committed on the second go-round, as I've described).

I created another user with the same privilege set, but have not been able to replicate. The person is gone today, and I'm trying to fix the problem before she returns. thanks

> I don’t like the word Duplicate?

Could duplicating a record have any potential bearing on this behavior, which occurs after the record is created (by duplication)?

The duplication script is the following (plus setting a number of other fields to "" ):

Show Custom Dialog ["Duplicate Record. ""You've asked for the record to be duplicated. Click 'OK', then hang on a moment."]

Duplicate Record/Request

Set Field [hardware::serial_num; ""]

Go to Field [hardware::id_num_org]

Show Custom Dialog ["Your Duplicate Record command is now complete. Be sure to enter the tag number and serial number."

> Why not attach a copy of your file?

It's hosted by someone else. I've asked for a copy of the database.

thanks

> I don’t like the word Duplicate?

Could duplicating a record have any potential bearing on this behavior, which occurs after the record is created (by duplication)?

Because it usually means duplication of data.

I’m not seeing anything in your script unexpected.

> Why not attach a copy of your file?

It's hosted by someone else. I've asked for a copy of the database.

Do you have Admin access to the file?

Be sure to remove the confidential information, or save as a duplicate “no records” and then create a few bogus records.

Be sure to provide User ID and password for the file

Lee

Why not create a new record instead of a duplicate record? That way your serial ID is created. I'm assuming you use an auto enter serial ID. Since it's likely to be validated as unique, this may be the cause of your problem since duplicating the record will also duplicate the PK. Then anything the user enters into a field won't "stick".

The reason for duplicating is because we have several dozen computers all with the same specs, location, etc. Probably 20 fields with data that remains the same. The only difference is we need to enter a different inventory tag number and serial number, and those are both blanked (set to "") by the duplication script.

The field in question is a computer's serial number (nothing to do with the primary key serial number, in which we do use auto enter serial ID, and there's no problem with that -- sorry for not being more clear on that!).

File will be uploaded shortly...

Attached is the file, stripped down to the essentials.

Full Access:

admin

admin

data_entry access:

sally

sally

(I created two re-login scripts with buttons in the file.)

It is the "sally" account that the problem has been happening with, but I'm unable to replicate in FMP13 Advanced (I've not been able to have my hosting person set this up with Web Direct; I don't know if Web Direct has any bearing on the issue though; my hunch is that it does not).

thankshardware.fmp12.zip

This topic is 3559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.