Basic Brain Fade Portal Problem!

MikeKD

This topic is 3542 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi folks,

It's a few months since I last played with portals and I'm now dosed with pain-killers, suffering brain-fade and struggling!!

I'm using three tables:

Day - DayClassJoin - Class

I have DayClassJoin records created on the class layout, but the classes don't show up on the Day layout portal.

• As far as I can see, the relationships are all OK (linking the appropriate UIDs)
  • The portal shows related records from DayClassJoin.
  • The fields on the portal are from the class table.

I've missed something stupid - any idea what?

Cheers!

Mike

If you have

Day -< DayClassJoin >- Class

then on a Days layout, a portal based on DayClassJoin should display the correct number of related join table records, and the field Class::name the correct class name for each of these records; and of course any field from DayClassJoin the correct value(s) from the join table itself.

I've missed something stupid - any idea what?

Show us your relationship Graph, and/or post a file.

I just saw you attached a file and I'm looking now.  What layout are we talking about?

I do not understand why you even have a Day table; I suspect it is completely unnecessary.   Your Day field is also text whereas, even if you DID need it, I would think it should be a date field.  But that can all be handled with a global field.  I need you to point out the portal with the problem please. :-)

It's the portal on the HOME layout.

I've now got the portal showing - I'd done something stupid with the DayID.

I think I used a Day table so I could join to it; I'm a bit of a novice & had previously made it work this way!!  TBH, I still can't think of another way to do it!

The problem I've now got is that I can't seem to be able to filter by academic year on the home layout portal. - I'm filtering using the $$CurrentAcademicYear. (I've now set the a script trigger to set the variable from the gAcedemicYear drop down on the Home layout.

Thanks so much for your help!!

The problem I've now got is that I can't seem to be able to filter by academic year on the home layout portal. - I'm filtering using the $$CurrentAcademicYear. (I've now set the a script trigger to set the variable from the gAcedemicYear drop down on the Home layout.

If the trigger sets the global variable and the portal should adjust accordingly then my guess would be, in version 11, you will need to force the refresh of the portal by adding at the end of the trigger, Refresh Window[] and possibly including 'flush cache'.  In version 13 we can now refresh just a specific object.

To test it, after you select the academic year, go to up to Window - Refresh Window and see if it resolves it.

But wait ... the academic year is a global.  Why not filter simply by that?

I have to leave for vacation.  I wish you well on your project. :-)

This topic is 3542 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.