Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Is Webdirect the right approach?

chakali

This topic is 3462 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I was asked to develop a remote iPad solution for a company that need to insert in its Filemaker database a lot of data about the daily work that has been done. The database must retrieve a lot of information from the server (workers and activity lists form that specific construction site i.e.). My first thought was to develop a local Filemaker Go solution that would sync once a day with the server.

However, webdirect would offer me the fastest development approach, but I'm not sure it would fit the requirements since a lot of data must ben interchanged between the mobile and the server. The previous Filemaker  web engine was quite slow and could only been used for accessing data. I was wondering if any of you have tried Webdirect in such a fashion yet.

Thank you,

Roberto

If you have network connection all the time you could just develop a FileMaker file, host it on the server and then open remote from the FMGO devices.

WD is a "live" client, which means that there is constant communication between the server and the client.

This means that it does need constant network connection.

Like Wim says, WebDirect does not currently support mobile devices. Or in other words, you can access a WebDirect solution in a mobile webbrowser, but it will be a terrible user experience.

• 1 month later...

This topic is 3462 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.