Server Maintenance This Week. ×

EasyCalendar Initial Comments

This topic is 3398 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey Tim

Thanks so much for EasyCalendar, it's really pretty awesome.  I've played with it a bit on a project I'm working on that has a table of Events.  A few comments/questions that I've got:

a) My Events table has 3 date fields (EventDate, SignupDeadline, CancelDeadline) and EasyCalendar works well to include all of them -- so it seems you could change/clarify "from multiple tables" in your documentation into "from multiple fields".

b ) Before I dive into it myself & potentially reinvent your wheel, have you thought about allowing 'hard-coded' or static text for some of the settings instead of having them come from fields?  e.g. with some set delimiter, allow "{{255;0;0}}" or "{{Bold HighlightYellow}}"  This could allow us to set a whole category of events, e.g. all SignupDeadlines or all events from Table2 -- without needing to add fields.

c) You may have caught this already, but the script step to sort a day's events by startTime is incomplete.  Should include:
"¶ORDER BY "" & GetValue ( $$Event_Begin_Time_Field_Name; 1 ) & """ ; 
instead of:
"¶ORDER BY¶3";

d) It might be nice to sort also by endTime in case two events have the same startTime.  (Or maybe by Description?)

e) Your License names "EasySync" instead of "EasyCalendar"

f) FWIW: When I just re-opened my local (unhosted) DB with EasyCalendar integrated, the "FMEasyCalendar - Beta 1" script somehow kicked in automatically and I had to use Script Debugger to stop the script at 28,000 EasyCalendar records.  I haven't tried troubleshooting that yet...

More as they come...

Thanks again,
-Joel

Joel --

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I'm going to review them and see what's possible...

Also, regarding this one "f) FWIW: When I just re-opened my local (unhosted) DB with EasyCalendar integrated, the "FMEasyCalendar - Beta 1" script somehow kicked in automatically and I had to use Script Debugger to stop the script at 28,000 EasyCalendar records.  I haven't tried troubleshooting that yet..." - Yikes! Sorry about that... I'll look into it, and see if I can reproduce it.

-- Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi TIm

It seems like at least one problem is with the initializing of $$display_data.

When I manually go to the EasyCalendar layout, I want to start things and load a month so I click one of the buttons at the top (e.g. rightArrow/NextMonth), and this ends up passing as the parameter a question mark ("?") -- and not a blank value(!) -- because $$display_data hasn't yet been set.  

So:

IsEmpty ( GetValue ( Get ( ScriptParameter ) ; 1 ) 

returns 0

which in turn leads to the never ending loop.

I'd thought the first time I'd had this problem (as I mentioned above) the script started running automatically as soon as I opened the file, but I can't be sure of that now and that hasn't repeated.

-Joel

• 2 months later...

Hey Tim,

Just added EasyCalendar to my solution, and ran into a couple of issues that you may wish to include in your documentation.

• The Body Part Definition for the Month/Week view layouts should not have Use alternate row state and Use active row state checked.
  • The Layout Setup should not have Show current record indicator in List View checked.

Thanks again for these great files!

Barbara

This topic is 3398 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.