Look Up Values

This topic is 3360 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello Everyone,

I am using FM Pro 13

I have a table containing a list of ‘Purchase Order Numbers’ supplied by a Retailer together with a ‘Date Used field’.

These numbers are used as a value list in a drop down box in a field in a portal (Purchase Orders) on a Project Layout. When a purchase is required a new Portal row is started and a Purchase Order Number entered from the drop down list. This is followed by a Date Used field.

I would like the Date Used field on the Portal to auto enter the date into the Date Used field in the Purchase Order Numbers table. The idea being that the drop down list would include the Purchase Order Number AND the Date Used so that an unused Number could be selected. OR perhaps a value list could be populated with only unused numbers.

I am afraid my limited FileMaker knowledge is a little stuck on this one. 

I would be grateful for any assistance.

Regards

Doug Whitham

I'm wondering if a script trigger would work here.  When the date used field in the portal row has been exited (or perhaps when saved) (or, alternatively, when the portal itself has been exited (or perhaps when saved)), you can trigger a script to copy that field to the relevant PO numbers record.

• Newbies

Thanks 'mikedr'

Thats what I did. I used two local variables. One to find the relevant record for the Purchase order No. and the other to insert the date used. It then returns to the last row in the portal.

I used an "on modify" script trigger and it works perfectly.

Thanks again. I think you are a little higher than a Novice.

Regards 

Doug Whitham

• Like 1

..."Awesome!  I'll increase my level to "intermediate"...."

LOL, after one month?

No one should increase to 'intermediate' until Oliver switches his to 'Expert'

Hey, now, *four* months!!  There needs to be more levels though.  I'd like to be at "thinks he knows what he's doing."

I have a table containing a list of ‘Purchase Order Numbers’ supplied by a Retailer together with a ‘Date Used field’.

I would like the Date Used field on the Portal to auto enter the date into the Date Used field in the Purchase Order Numbers table.

You should use a lookup for this. Lookups work at data level - unlike a script trigger that will work only in the layout/s where it's installed.

This topic is 3360 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.