Server Maintenance This Week. ×

help with a chart

ccarrieta

This topic is 3360 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey guys I have a table with several fields (procedure A, Procedure B and Procedure C, Date of Procedure), each of those 3 procedure fields are populated through a drop down list of menu items.  I want to create a bar graph that compared fields A vs B vs C according to date, and I can't figure out how.  All of the fields are contained in the same table.

sorry so I have the filed ablation/imaging/device.  The field procedure is filled by a drop down menu that gives several choices (pacemaker, ICD, Cath), the field imaging has several choice as well the field ablation.  I want to chart how many of each i do a month, basically a bar graph that plots how many of each procedure I do a month.  I attached  my database to the message, the fields I want to chart are ablation/device/imaging by month.

new_final.fmp12.zip

Here is the table I would need to chart, as you see I have 3 fields device ablation and imaging, I wanted to chart those against procedure date... One of my ideas was to combine them all into one field (field 9) and then chart that one column but I don't know how...  Could your idea be implemented here ?post-112830-0-89304000-1423699064_thumb.post-112830-0-89304000-1423699064_thumb.

1. Is it possible for a single procedure to have data in more than one of the three columns?

2. What should your chart look like: do you want to group the procedure by date (do you really have that many procedures on the same day?) on the y axis, and then show a bar for each one of the three columns? Or something else?

So it seems you have three categories - Device, Ablation and Imaging -  with each category also having sub-categories to choose from. If so, you should have two fields: Category and Subcategory - with a conditional value list to enable the selection of a subcategory, after selecting one of the three categories. That will make summarizing your data much easier.

You haven't really  answered my question regarding what your chart should actually be charting.

Attached find the relationship graph; field definitions; and value lists.

Note that there is no value list for for the procedure field.

The value list "procedures" is attached to the Device field.

The fields Device, Imaging, and Ablation seem to correspond to your "procedure A,B,C" description; but they don't sound like procedures, they sound like attributes of a procedure or attributes of whatever the record represents.

The date fields are not in fact date fields.

There is no example data so it is hard to see what results you expect.

There is no description of what an MR is, perhaps it is some kind of medical record ID.

Seems like lots more explanation will be required.

ProcedureFields.pdf

post-62898-0-18741900-1423708906_thumb.p

post-62898-0-27004200-1423708917_thumb.p

post-62898-0-92311900-1423708926_thumb.p

post-62898-0-18505700-1423708938_thumb.p

post-62898-0-38537200-1423709084_thumb.p

The fields Device, Imaging, and Ablation seem to correspond to your "procedure A,B,C" description; but they don't sound like procedures, they sound like attributes of a procedure or attributes of whatever the record represents.

I believe TEE stands for "Transesophageal Echocardiogram", which is a procedure in the realm of imaging. Ablation is definitely a cardiological procedure. And I suspect PCMK is short for a pacemaker - so that too would be a procedure in the category of installing/replacing a device. But of course, I could be wrong about this.

sorry it would be a bar graph of date and procedure 

I suggest being (a lot) less laconic would be a better strategy here.

here we go hope this helps: based on the design of my database i want to track the procedures i do.. There are is a table called procedures it contains the three main procedures type which are:

Devices: the main categories would be loop recorder, pacemaker, defibrillator, pacemakers in turn can be single, dual, or triple chamber and defibrillator can also be single. dual, or triple chambers devices, loop recorders are a single type of procedure within device without sub category.  

Ablations: there are two main categories: right atrial and left atrial, each of these has several sub types of ablations for example right atrial can be flutter, AVNRT, AV node ablations while under left atrial it can be afib, atach ect...

Imaging: there are 3 main categories Echo, TEE, Stress tests

The type of chart I want to create is over time be able to see how many devices, ablations and imaging subtypes i do per month to track performance.  

The type of chart I want to create is over time be able to see how many devices, ablations and imaging subtypes i do per month to track performance.  

if you change your structure to what I suggested above in post #10, you will be able to use the method shown in my file (post #4) without any changes to speak of: just use "Device", "Imaging" and "Ablation" as the Category values, instead of the generic "Alpha", "Bravo" and "Charlie".

Without making this change, you would need three separate summary fields to count your three separate category fields.

This is assuming you want your chart to show three bars per month, one for each main category; I am still not 100% sure about that, as the sentence above can be read in more than one way.

This topic is 3360 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.