Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Error importing xml/xsl: "XML Analysis error: expected end of tag 'meta' "

This topic is 3333 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Isn't it that FMP13adv can do what FMP12adv cannot? ...I try to explain the problem.

I'm triyng to import a standard well formed XML file with its xsl associated to it (they are from italian governament: see following links: xml, xsl or attachment files).
Filemaker pro 12 adv (both win & mac), after choosing the right files, shows this message (in half-Italian): Errore di analisi XML: expected end of tag 'meta'.
So I opened with a texteditor the xsl file to see where the 'meta' tag was, to see if there were errors: but no error found!
Note that Firefox and some web validators show correctly the  page resulting from xml data and xsl frame, confirming the accuracy of the xml/xsl files!
I tried different ways to resolve the problem with FIlemaker by retouching or deleteting the incriminated row (81) where the tag 'meta' appears even if it is apparently well formed.
It is the following string:
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" >
But No success.

Can anyone tell why FMP12 can't import the file? Isn't it that xml language has evolved and FMP13 can do it?

If so I would have a further reason to update my "old" Fliemaker pro! :)
Thanks anyone for any contribute.
Ric

Archive.zip

The XSLT stylesheet that you show us transforms the XML to HTML.  It cannot be used for importing the XML into any version of Filemaker. For this, you will need an XSLT stylesheet that transforms the XML into Filemaker's own FMPXMLRESULT grammar (a flavor of XML). This needs to be custom-written to match both your source XML and your target Filemaker table schemas.

• Newbies

Great lighting answer! Thanks!

But the next question is:  there the possibility (a software or a method) to automatically transform a XML/XSLT  content and structure into a FM database (even if not tree structured!)?

Doing it manually could be very tedious and insecure.

But the next question is:  there the possibility (a software or a method) to automatically transform a XML/XSLT  content and structure into a FM database (even if not tree structured!)?

I am afraid I don't understand your question. If you are asking if there is method to automatically generate the XSLT for transforming the source XML to another XML that Filemaker can import, then the answer is no. As I said earlier, it needs to be custom-written to fit the source XML schema on the one side, and the target table schema on the other.

That said, writing such stylesheet is not very difficult - provided you know exactly what you want to import from the source XML and where you want to put it.. In the given example, where the source XML contains both invoice details and several line items, you may even need two stylesheets: one for importing into the Invoices table and one for importing into LineItems.

And in case it wasn't clear, you do this (write the XSLT stylesheet) once - then use the same document for all your imports (for as long as two schemas don't change).

• Newbies

Thanks again Comment for you answer: I'll try to write the XSLT stylesheets needed or better create directly the fields in FMP and import XML in them and eventually create a script to repeat the operation. Cheers

This topic is 3333 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.