Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Index entries appearing in name fields

This topic is 3314 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I started building a very straightforward project with 3 entities/tables: Clients, Projects and Invoices.

• Clients have a 1-to-many relation to Projects
  • Projects have a 1-to-many relation to Invoices

I started entering some dummy data in the 3 tables. I populate the Products table through a pop-up menu, that selects client names (e.g. K A, K B, K C etc.) from a dynamically generated value list (showing the name field of the Clients table. So far, so good, it all works. But to my surprise, the pop-up menu additionally starts showing index fields from the serial index of the Clients table (IDp_Client). I really can not see how entries from the index field (e.g. KLA00000004) can move to the name field.

Anybody understands what could be wrong?

Thanks!

post-113191-0-24585500-1427706712_thumb.

You lost me here, "I populate the Products table through a pop-up menu, that selects client names (e.g. K A, K B, K C etc.) from a dynamically generated value list (showing the name field of the Clients table."

Why would you populate Products from the context of a Client?

-Barbara

But to my surprise, the pop-up menu additionally starts showing index fields from the serial index of the Clients table (IDp_Client). I really can not see how entries from the index field (e.g. KLA00000004) can move to the name field.

Anybody understands what could be wrong?

How exactly did you define the value list you are using here?

Unrelated to your question, but important: your value list should be using values from the ClientID field. The client's name should the "second field" in this value list. Otherwise your relationship will break if you so much as correct a typo in the client's name.

Why would you populate Products from the context of a Client

I believe that's Projects, not Products. No Products table was mentioned in the description.

Actually, it was.

"my data in the 3 tables. I populate the Products table through a pop-up menu, that selects..."

Yes, I've seen that - but I meant the description of the file's structure here:

I started building a very straightforward project with 3 entities/tables: Clients, Projects and Invoices.

• Clients have a 1-to-many relation to Projects
  • Projects have a 1-to-many relation to Invoices

Add to this the fact that Projects are related to Clients, and in a way that makes selecting a client for a project a reasonable requirement, and the conclusion that "Products" in your quote was actually meant to be "Projects" becomes inevitable.

• Newbies

He guys, thanks for all your feedback. Indeed "Products" was a typo, sorry for that. I think I resolved the issue by defining new TO's for this purpose. It seems to work now. One thing for sure: this forum includes some very nice people, ready to help out. I promise not to overwhelm you with issues, but I'm glad you're out there somewhere. Thanks again!

This topic is 3314 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.