Filemaker 6 for Mac issue.

This topic is 3276 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello, All!

I am an aspiring developer for Filemaker. The company I work with is stuck in the past working off of Filemaker Pro 4.1

I was given the task of bringing us up to Filemaker Pro/Server 13. So far my conversion prototypes are successful but we recently had a layout issue that can only be fixed in versions 3-6 (as the file is an .fp3) I work off of a macbook while our network is all Windows 7. In order for me to repair the layouts without tampering our active database, I decided the best option is to repair a copy of our solutions off the network. Unfortunately, when I go to download the trial version of Filemaker Pro 6 off of the respected website, the file is corrupt! I've tried multiple times, with different extraction apps and in different directories.

My question is;

Does anyone know a place where I could obtain version 6 (or better yet, 4.0) for an OSX computer? I've looked everywhere!

Thank you for your time,

Tumma K.

Hi Tumma, and welcome to the FM Forums,

I moved your topic from "FileMaker Legacy fp3 and fp5" to "Upgrading & Migration, because that topic area is reserved for discussion of the new tools, functions and features that were introduced with that version of FileMaker.

I can see why you were confused where to post this, after seeing all of the inconsistencies in your descriptions.

You can not host version 6 on Server 13?

Your profile shows you are using v4, but you are asking about version 6?

You only became a member today?

Please correct your profile for the errors shown. Here is a quick link for your confidence. MY PROFILE

Edited by Lee Smith
change the post

• Newbies

The problem you'll likely face should you be able to find what you're looking for is that it won't run on a current OS.

I made sure of downloading the OSX version of the FMP 6. But I recieved a CD today of 4.0 (What the company uses) and the same "You can’t open the application “(null)” because it may be damaged or incomplete." error pops up so I have come to the conclusion that this is a "me" issue that I'll be looking more into later.

Hi Tumma, and welcome to the FM Forums,

I moved your topic from "FileMaker Legacy fp3 and fp5" to "Upgrading & Migration, because that topic area is reserved for discussion of the new tools, functions and features that were introduced with that version of FileMaker.

I can see why you were confused where to post this, after seeing all of the inconsistencies in your descriptions.

You can not host version 6 on Server 13?

Your profile shows you are using v4, but you are asking about version 6?

You only became a member today?

Please correct your profile for the errors shown. Here is a quick link for your confidence. MY PROFILE

A apologize for the misplaced post. I also apologize for not explaining my situation. Our company works off of version 4.0. I was asking about 6.0 since it can open .fp3 files as well as is available on filemaker's website as opposed to 4.0 where I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet.

Upgrading to 13.0 is a separate task that will be complete once our base solutions are back in their proper order. Right now I'm focused on repairing our layouts. 

IIRC, there never was a version of FMP v.4 that was compatible with Mac OS X. FMP v.6 had versions for both Classic and OS X, but the OS X version lost some of its functionality in later versions of the OS.

I was asking about 6.0 since it can open .fp3 files

Not really. It can convert .fp3 files to its own .fp5 format. Similarly, versions 7 through 11 can convert .fp3 or .fp5 files to the .fp7 format.

A apologize for the misplaced post. I also apologize for not explaining my situation. Our company works off of version 4.0. I was asking about 6.0 since it can open .fp3 files as well as is available on filemaker's website as opposed to 4.0 where I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet.

There is no need to apologize. We understand that this stuff is all new to you  

• Newbies

IIRC, there never was a version of FMP v.4 that was compatible with Mac OS X. FMP v.6 had versions for both Classic and OS X, but the OS X version lost some of its functionality in later versions of the OS.

Not really. It can convert .fp3 files to its own .fp5 format. Similarly, versions 7 through 11 can convert .fp3 or .fp5 files to the .fp7 format.

Ah, you see. The conversion is exactly what I'm attempting to avoid because it has to go back into our FMP 4.0 database. My only solution to this is to just wait until the weekend to go in and repair the template on our server directly.

It's a shame about the compatibility issue. If only Macs had backwards service packs like windows. 

My only solution to this is to just wait until the weekend to go in and repair the template on our server directly.

Since the Windows workstations can apparently still use FM4, why not use a workstation to make the necessary change?  As a FM developer you really need to have both Windows and Mac especially if you develop for a mixed environment, and especially to double-check what you design on Mac looks ok on Windows.  And in order to use some of the platform-specific features.  You don't need to get two  machines.  You can use bootcamp on your Mac or use VMware Fusion or Parallels to run Windows.  It will save you much time and headaches.

This topic is 3276 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.