Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Multiple Portal Row Selection

Tyra

This topic is 3047 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

First need to apologize for re-posting this, since it appears to have been solved once:

But, the links in the orginal thread are all dead, and after an exhusting search for both the example file and attempts to reach the original author have all failed.

The gist, looking for a way to allow end users to "select" portal rows in a single or multi user environment and display that selection. Further it should allow the selection of multiple portal rows simulating general OS functionality.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

These files were never posted to the FM Forums, the link takes you to the Author's site.

See if you can reach Genx by Private Message.

looking for a way to allow end users to "select" portal rows in a single or multi user environment and display that selection.

​What would be the intended use of this selection? And what exactly does "display that selection" mean? Would it be just some formatting of the selected rows, or display them separately, or ... ?

I have tried to reach Genx by private email/message to no avail. The intent would be to allow the user to select multible portal rows/records then select a button to preform a script on all the selected, i.e.. delete all selected, or run all selected through another process.. Once they are tagged, I beleive I can figure out how to process the slelected records, it's just the selectling/tagging all of them by using shift or control to select all or single rows. It doesnt nessarilly need to be check boxes.. could be just highlighting the rows like in the example below..(Which gives poor explanation, plus being of such bad resolution, that makes it impoosible for me to follow!)

Genx, looks like he created exatly what I am looking for.. All the searching I did to find a solution to this, I cant believe that it is not a more common request. 

• 7 months later...
  • Newbies

Did you in any nice way solve this? I've tried to implement the script in the file above, but it was bult for FM7 and i'm on FM14. 

Got the feeling that it has been a lot easier to do this i later versions?

My goal is to be able to choose selected lines from a portal and to include them in an email.

Thanks!

Good blog post about multi-user friendly selections.

http://filemakerinspirations.com/2011/06/checkbox-record-selection-in-a-multi-user-environment/

The general idea is that you store selected record IDs in a global field or $$var. This is what makes it multi-user friendly.

PS: Boy, I miss Genx. Hope he's doing well.

This topic is 3047 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.