Installing/Updating Server Side Plug-ins

This topic is 3157 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've done some research and have found that the Install Plug-in File script step will install plug-ins on the server via server side scripting.     All the documentation I've seen states that it will install the plug-ins for the Scripting Engine part of server.   I see nothing about the Web Engine part which supports plug-ins but the plug-ins are installed in a different location from the plug-ins for the Scripting Engine.

Does anyone know if there is a way to install plug-ins for the Web Publishing Engine using Install Plug-In File script step or by some other means?

Are you talking server-side Plug-Ins?  If so, there is no difference between a WPE script and a server-side script, they both run on FileMaker server and are essentially the same thing.

Are you talking server-side Plug-Ins?  If so, there is no difference between a WPE script and a server-side script, they both run on FileMaker server and are essentially the same thing.

Nope.

PSoS and Server-side Extensions go here:

C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Database Server\Extensions

Plugins used through web publishing go here:

C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Web Publishing\publishing-engine\cwpc\Extensions

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings.  I just returned from DevCon 2015. Wim,  I really enjoyed your session on the Stand By server feature!

So,  I cornered the man responsible for the creation of and continuing management of WebDirect, Vin Addala,  and asked him about the plug-in question I posed here.    What he told me was that if you call the Install Plug-in File script step from WebDirect,  the plug-ins will be installed in the appropriate location for use with WebDirect.  

In general,  the Install Plug-In File script step acts on the context you are calling it from.   So, calling it from Pro installs on the machine running Pro, calling it from Server Side Scripting installs in the appropriate location for the Server Side scripting engine, and calling from WebDirect installs in the appropriate location for WebDirect.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings.  I just returned from DevCon 2015. Wim,  I really enjoyed your session on the Stand By server feature!

So,  I cornered the man responsible for the creation of and continuing management of WebDirect, Vin Addala,  and asked him about the plug-in question I posed here.    What he told me was that if you call the Install Plug-in File script step from WebDirect,  the plug-ins will be installed in the appropriate location for use with WebDirect.  

In general,  the Install Plug-In File script step acts on the context you are calling it from.   So, calling it from Pro installs on the machine running Pro, calling it from Server Side Scripting installs in the appropriate location for the Server Side scripting engine, and calling from WebDirect installs in the appropriate location for WebDirect.

Am I to understand this to mean that as long as a Plug-In is WebDirect capable that I can use it just like I'd use on an instance of FMP but across the web?

Am I to understand this to mean that as long as a Plug-In is WebDirect capable that I can use it just like I'd use on an instance of FMP but across the web?

I believe that is the case.

From the FileMaker WebDirect Guide: 

"When using third-party plug-ins with a FileMaker WebDirect solution, only use plug-ins that have been enabled for the WPE "

This topic is 3157 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.