Identify Duplicate record

This topic is 3102 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a file called Call Log that tracks all incoming calls.  There are certain clients that have earned a flag.  I want to be able to notify the data inputer that the call they are entering is from a flagged previous caller.  I tried by searching for dups upon exit of the call name entry using call name&flag. I am sure I am missing something.

Any help would be appreciated. 

You have different entities: the call and the caller.  You flag the caller, not the call.

Logging a call starts by selecting the caller and it should be transparent there and then that the caller is flagged.  No need to search the call log.

The caller name is being entered at the time of the call.  The previous (now flagged) call may have been from two years ago. I do not understand what you have told me to do.

For lead tracking purposes the call is being tracked rather than the caller.

The caller name is being entered at the time of the call.

Basically, you have two options: either perform a find for the entered name, or use a relationship to bring up existing records with the same name. Performing a find has the advantage (?) of being able to find records with partial matches. Either way, relying on names is rather flimsy.

Note also that if you have repeated calls from the same client, one of these may be flagged and others may be not. This is why you should (probably*) have two tables - Clients and Calls. That way, you enter the client's details - including a flag - only once.

---
(*) We really don't know enough about what your solution is about to tell for sure.

Edited by comment

This is a Lead Tracking solution.  We are a roofing company and get repeat calls from clients.  Some of them have proved to be dead beats and earn a flag not to do any further business with.  This solution is used to evaluate advertising as well as the status of a lead. Each call is entered by the secretary as she receives the call. When she enters a flawed name, I want a way to let her know this was a flagged person.  I tried a find script to star upon exit of the caller field.  I can not figure out how to put that name into the find field.

I tried a find script to star upon exit of the caller field.  I can not figure out how to put that name into the find field.

Put it into a variable first, then enter Find mode and put the variable's value into the field - e.g.:

Set Variable [ $name ; Calls::CallerName ]
Enter Find Mode []
Go to Layout [ Clients ]
Set Field [ Clients::Name ; $name ]
Perform Find []

If you prefer, you can open a new window for this, so that she can stay on the call while viewing a list of "suspects" in the new window.

• 2 weeks later...

James' question was: How can you tell the difference between two people with the same name, one of whom has proven to be a 'dead beat' and the other of which is a fantastic customer?

Given that you are basing this solely on name, according to what you have told us...

Cheers

Webko

This topic is 3102 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.