Mixing manual entry fields and calculation fields in List view

This topic is 3215 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a List view form set up to enter data for a cash flow analysis. All of the entries are entered manually, except for section Section III., which is a calculation base on figures in sections I. and II. The list is dynamic, will be adding and deleting lines.

The Depreciation calculation would be Hardware items that are marked Non-Leased and would be multiplied by a factor depending on the year.

Amortization calculation would be Software items that are marked Non-Leased and would be multiplied by a factor depending on the year.

How can I set up this calculation in section III. Year 0....Year 5, while all of the other values are being manually entered.

At the end of the list (not shown) the section III calculations will be added to a total, so I assume I will need a stored value, I was going to do this addition in the footer or a Grand Total summary.

Cash Flow.png

If the items in section III are always the same (ie only depreciation and amortization), then you could simply place the entire section in a footer.

To calc the depreciation and amortization totals, you'd need to create summary fields that total the various values, then use a calc field to calc the depreciation/amortization and displays those calcs in the footer. You can then use another calc to tally the various years and display that in the footer as well.

Edited by OlgerDiekstra
correction

Yes the depreciation and amortizations are always the same. I had actually played around the with calculations a little already. But I did it the opposite as you suggested. I didn't think you could do a if statement with a sum, so I did a calculation with an If to get the amortizations and depreciation values the did a sum of those.

I can't put the depreciation and amortization values in the footer because there are other sections between where the depreciation and amortization should go and the footer. I will be doing other calculations in the footer. I will need the depreciation and amortization to be a stored value, because they will be included in other calculations in the footer. Thanks for the help.

I can't put the depreciation and amortization values in the footer because there are other sections between where the depreciation and amortization should go and the footer.

Not sure what you mean by "sections". Filemaker has no sections, only layout parts. To achieve the look shown in your screenshot, the depreciation and amortization figures would have to be either in a grand summary part or in a trailing sub-summary part (where the group would include both hardware and software).

I will need the depreciation and amortization to be a stored value, because they will be included in other calculations in the footer.

No calculation can be stored if it depends on values in other records. That doesn't mean it cannot be used in other calculations. You didn't provide details regarding the actual calculations. Assuming each item calculates its own depreciation and amortization, you would use summary fields to total the individual figures. Summary fields can be used in other calculations - either directly, or through the GetSummary() function.

I believe I have the calculations working, I used a calculation field with If statements to select the fields I want to calculate depreciation and amortization for each year, then created another set of new fields and did a Sum Total on those two calculation fields for the Depreciation and Amortization values.

Now I need to display the depreciation and amortization (amortization not shown) values, the yellow area, so it looks like the pink area, how do I get rid of the records in the pink area but still have Depreciation and Amortization values showing, yellow area? I would also need to get rid of the green area which is the sub summary trailing area part for the Category Allocation.

The summed Depreciation and Amortization values also needs to be included in the Profit Before Taxes grand total in the footer.

Cash_Flow_Depreciation.thumb.png.dd99b39

This topic is 3215 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.