Beginning a new Database

tosy

This topic is 3100 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

It would be good to understand the difference between a new file and a new table; both are considered databases.  It is easiest to create a new 'table' (database) within the same 'file' if they revolve around the same business needs.  Multiple tables within a single file makes scripting and security easier.  Also, most hosting companies charge per file so a single file for a single business works bests (or two files if using *data separation).  Is the Equipment list used in your Invoicing?  If so, instead of creating a new database 'file', create a new table ...  File > Manage > Database and go to Tables tab to create a new table.

FileMaker is flexible in this regard.  You can use different files or different tables within a single file; your choice.  If you use a second file, you can add an occurrence of it within you graph by adding it as an external data source as Doug recommends. 

* separation model simply means the UI is in one file and data tables are in another.  You can search here for discussions and examples.  But since you rate yourself as a beginner, a single file is recommended.

True, but since FMI defines a database as "The arrangement of tables and fields and their interrelationships in a file" it would be best to reserve this term to a file.

True and I almost mentioned it.  However, version 11-13 indicates 'File > New Database' so I thought it more confusing if I said that a new FILE is a database but a new TABLE in a file is, well, not -  so I stopped myself since Tosy is in version 11.

In 14, it at least now indicates 'File > New Solution' but when you select 'Manage', it still indicates 'new database' when they are actually meaning table.  So both the file and the table are known as a 'database' to FileMaker in some places.  

In all, I was unclear whether Tosy was asking about starting a new file or starting a new table which was why I instead went into depth to explain when one might use file versus a table.  Thanks for bringing this up, since FMs inconsistent use of the term can be confusing.  :-)

edited ...crossed out the word 'new'

Edited by LaRetta

This topic is 3100 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.