Get function results inconsistent

This topic is 3031 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to make a script to set a file path specific to each computer on which the script will run.  All my attempts to use "Get SystemIPAddress" or "Get DesktopPath" to use in the variables are fraught with the problem that the results are not consistent with the computer they are on.  I am running FM server with several clients and for example with "Get SystemIPAddress" I can get "10.0.1.55" as result on the computer with the IP of "10.0.1.4" if the file is already open on the computer running on "10.0.1.55".  The same problem occurs with "Get DesktopPath".  How can I get a result that is really specific to the computer I want the script to work on?

Can you expand a bit on that?  I have never seen or experienced anything like this.

Get(SystemIPAddress) may return multiple values if there are multiple network interfaces on the machine (wifi + wired,...) but even then the IP addresses would never be that of another machine unless something is really wrong with how IP addresses are assigned on the network.

Get(DesktopPath): can you post an example of what would be not correct?

This is all on Yosemite with FM13 (as per your profile)?

Yes I know this sounds weird, but here is an example.

Field definition is "Get(DesktopPath)"

The result that is now showing in that field is "/Clint/Users/dysong2/Desktop/" but this is on the computer where the real desktop path is "/Macintosh HD/Users/geoffreydyson/Desktop".  /Clint/Users/dysong2/Desktop/" is correct for another one of my computers but not for both.

I have updated my profile.

I am at a loss too.

Of course.  Silly me.  Thanks for that.

If this is typically not the type of thing you would put in a calculated field, would you have a better idea for basing the script variable on something that is specific to each computer?

I would need to know about what your script does and what you are trying to achieve.   But in the course of a script, if you need to know the path to the user's desktop then you basically just set a variable to it

Set Variable[  <"filewin:" or "filemac:"> & Get(DesktopPath) ]

This topic is 3031 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.