downloading my database from server

H

This topic is 2972 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

please can someone help me out, i want to download my database to send over to my colleuge however from my server console the download database option is greyed out  - not giving me an option to do from there

in my FMP , my save a copy is also greyed out.

please can someone explain me why this is and how i can get my database offline.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

In what way is your issue similar?

If you have the file currently Hosted on a FMS machine, it must be closed before you can copy it down.

If you have a local copy of the file, you must have FileMaker Advanced to create a run-time.

It is similar " in that I am trying to create a runtime version of a file to email out for data collection." The file resides on the server (FMS 13). This is not a one-off thing. It will happen hundreds of times in a session. I need to load some data into the file (personalization, etc.) from other FM tables, then produce a runtime version of the loaded file, delete the record just created in the "mother" file, then repeat. Ad nauseum. 

I am using FMA.

By the way, this is not spam. We have over 400 remote locations as part of our operation that I need to collect info from to plug back into the system.

Is there a way to do this?

You can only create a run-time from a local version of the file.

You can:

Turn the file off on Hosting, copy down and create a run-time

Copy down one of the backup versions from the Data/Backups folder

Keep a local copy to create run-times from

But, for very good security reasons, you cannot make a copy of a Hosted file.

• Like 1

Filemaker has said it is ending support for runtime. What other options for the scenario described would you recommend exploring? Is it possible to generate a PDF form from Filemaker? I do not know of a way. If I could, is there a way to import back to Filemaker the specific data collected in the form? Other possibilities?

Your suggestion of using a local file will probably meet my needs for generating a runtime version, for the time being. But I would rather develop for the long term. 

Thanks

The obvious alternative is the web to let people do data collection.

And FM has said it is going to end support for runtimes *some time in the future*. It still is supported now so you can go ahead and use it.

It may be worth mentioning that you can also distribute a solution targeted toward iOS users pretty easily by using FM Go. Having users install a free app from the app store might be easier than having them download and install a runtime.

And if branding is important, you might also look at the iOS SDK that will allow you to build and brand your own app.

The second issue I see here is collecting the data. Do you have a plan for gathering the data that people will be collecting? Runtimes are not able to connect to a FM Server, so you will need another way to get the data off that device. IOS apps (Go or SDK) can connect to a FM Server, but will consume a connection license so plan accordingly if you want that route.

There are also plenty of ways to get creative, like emailing results to an address that you collect from there...ranging to full blown sync solutions that can pull data down and even install new updates, but those really need to be thought through beforehand.

Mike

• Like 1

Thank you, Mike. Unfortunately I have to craft a one size fits all solution, so I can't use an iOS solution. A FMP runtime file seemed like the obvious solution but the more I learn about it the less it seems so. 

Under the "getting creative" options, can you be more specific? I was hoping to have the completed FM runtime forms returned by email, then import each by matching the record number to the existing record in the FM system in a scripted routine. I would still like to use a similar approach but it is looking like FM runtime is not the ideal vehicle. 

6 minutes ago, Markus Musik said:

It is a security policy of the organization I work for. 

Really?  Not challenging you, just inquiring.

I would assume that it is much safer to let people enter data directly through an encrypted channel then to have a part of the business logic (the runtime file) and its data be out there in the wild...

I understand what you are saying, but what I created would make a runtime file that would not be carrying a payload going out, and would have only the one record coming back in. The runtime file is just a vehicle with some scripts, calcs, and a pretty layout for the benefit of the user.

Well, a simple web form over HTTPS would show a form, and then have an encrypted single record coming back. You can lock the web interactions down to only allow record creation via the web. IMO, that is more secure than having lots of runtimes moving back and forth...

I've been on the end of those decisions...

So, download the file, use Advanced to create a runtime, and send them out... Note that although FM says it is deprecating this feature, your current version(s) of FileMaker will still continue to be able to create them long into the future - this won't stop working on your current version ever.

This topic is 2972 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.