Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Portal to show all records for selected record

Chris Thacker

This topic is 3106 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm creating a database to keep track of our IT dept servers.

Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 11.13.45 AM.png

It's similar to a Customer > Invoices > Invoice type setup.

The 'server' table is the main database where each server gets entered. Because each server can have many 'MAC addresses', 'IP addresses', and 'domain names', I've created a table for each.

It's working except I'd like to have a portal show ALL domain names for a single server record that's being looked at.

I've tried creating a new table occurrence for "domain_names", as shown in the image, and linked it to both:

• domain_names__server::server_addresses_fk  X  server::ID

• domain_names__server::MAC_addresses_fk  X  MAC_Addresses::ID (shown in the image... the table occurrence name is just left over from the previous attempt to get it working when it was linked to 'server')

in both cases it shows ALL domain names for ALL records, which is not what I want.

What do I need to do?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, webko said:

Not use a Cartesian join ( the X in the link between TOs ) - that does exactly as is occurring, and relates all records to all records...

When I use "=" nothing shows up.

Should the 2nd table occurrence point to 'server' or to 'MAC_Addresses"? I've tried both and can only get either everything to appear or nothing.

Edited by Chris Thacker

35 minutes ago, Chris Thacker said:

It's similar to a Customer > Invoices > Invoice type setup.

If (as it seems from your RG) you have a a chain of one-to-many relationships:

Servers -< MAC_Addresses -< IP_Addresses -< Domains

then you only need to place a portal to Domains on a layout of Servers, in order to show all domain names related to the currently viewed server. There is no need to add another TO of Domains (and certainly, if you use the x relational operator, it will make all domain names related - which is not what you want).

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

Just now, comment said:

If (as it seems from your RG) you have a a chain of one-to-many relationships:

Servers -< MAC_Addresses -< IP_Addresses -< Domains

then you only need to place a portal to Domains on a layout of Servers, in order to show all domain names related to the currently viewed server. There is no need to add another TO of Domains (and certainly, if you use the x relational operator, it will make all domain names related - which is not what you want).

I tried this and the portal doesn't show any records.

Thanks for your reply.

6 minutes ago, Chris Thacker said:

I tried this and the portal doesn't show any records.

That would indicate there are no related records. Check your data and your field types.

--
P.S. Please update your profile to reflect your version and OS.

Edited by comment

IP_addresses is empty as well.

This databases did have some actual live data in it and then I realized I needed to modify it so I deleted the data with the thought that I'd add it back after modifications.

What's interesting is that when I create a new 'server' record and then add a MAC address record within it, an IP address will appear in this new 'all IP' portal without me entering one. This IP that's showing up was at one time entered in. The 'all domains' portal is empty.  If I then delete this test record and do a Find for this mystery IP it doesn't return a result. Where could it be pulling this from?

I don't know. There is something you're not telling us. Or your file is corrupted - but that's much less likely. I suggest you take a copy of your file, remove everything except the TOs shown in your original post (not including the extra domain_names TO) and see if you can make that work. If not, post that file.

This topic is 3106 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.