Creating A List

FC

This topic is 2937 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am brand new to Filemaker 14.

I have a table with information on individuals (ex:  ID #, name, Address etc.)

I have a table with categories for the individual (groups they belong to:  ID #, Council, Board, Committee)

Example - table 1 has persons name

Table 2 has a list of commissions the person serves on.

When I do a layout it shows all the people and all the affiliations

I would like to make a list of all the council members.  I want the layout to show title council members and have those members listed.  I want to then have another layout showing "such and such" a board and show all the members that belong to that board.  

Any ideas.  

I have been successful in listing the person with a list of their affiliations but cannot do the opposite.

Edited by FC

Could you provide a couple of example records from table 2? Fake data is fine but I want to make sure I understand what you're putting in those fields. And are you joining the tables on the person ID field?

Welcome to the forums!

• Newbies
20 hours ago, FC said:

I am brand new to Filemaker 14.

I have a table with information on individuals

I have a table with Affiliations for the individual

Example - table 1 has persons name

Table 2 has a list of commissions the person serves on.

When I do a layout it shows all the people and all the affiliations

If I do "find" I can get the list of only the info I need but the affiliation also appears in the layout area.  I only want to see the name in the layout area.  I found myself needing to include the affiliation since I needed it for the find function.

Thanks for the help on my original question.  Third table advice did it!

I was able to create a third table and get the ability for the results that I needed.  I still however need to narrow the results.

The layout gives me the ability to list a Committee - when I search for a particular one (there are many) it lists the members underneath the Committee Heading.  Which is what I want.  I would like to set it up so that I don't have to search for the data but instead to save the layout for each particular Committee.  

I tried using portals - it generates the correct query but when I go to display the results it only lists one of them members names twice.  Prior to that difficulty it would list each of the members twice but on different pages.  I cannot seem to get a continuous list of members.

Is portals the correct way to go or is there any easier way.

3 hours ago, FC said:

Is portals the correct way to go

Portals are convenient to show the related records on screen, in form view - for example, you can browse the Committees table and view the related members of the  current committee in a portal.

For printing a list of all (or some) committees and their members, or a list of all (or some) people and the committees they serve on, it would be much better to use a layout of the join table - as shown in the demo file I have linked to earlier.

This topic is 2937 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.