Buffer overflow

This topic is 8278 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

It appears I am having buffer overflow problems with Web Companion v6 for Mac using FileMaker 5.0 on an Apple G4, OS 9.1. Every few hours Web Companion ceases to serve although FileMaker file sharing functions normally. Reloading FileMaker fixes the problem for few hours. I suspect it is caused by Code Red. The access log is flooded with entries as follows:

172.129.121.209 - - [07/Aug/2001:17:50:08 -0700] "GET /default.ida?XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u9090%u8190%u00c3%u0003%u8b00%u531b%u53ff%u0 078%u0000%u00=a HTTP/1.0" 404 1362. Last Thursday I talked with FileMaker and they say no one else has reported this. They asked me to send a copy of the access log and am eagerly waiting for a reply. I am surprised no one else is having this problem. Has anyone found a solution to this or seen this problem?

Hi dwal,

I have had the same problem with a machine I have just set up with FMPro 5 Unlimited on an OS 9.1 Mac. I have turned my logging on but the duration between my problem is about 28 hours. I will keep an eye on it. I will try OS 9.0.X and see how I go.

Tony, OS 9.0.4 did not solve the problem. It did lengthen the time it takes for the server to fail.

On Saturday I configured our firewall to block many of the code red requests to our server and this has solved the problem. Serving has functioned without problems since Saturday afternoon! Unfortunately there are so many code red infected servers to block I had to in some cases block large ranges of IP numbers and thus I have probably blocked legitimate requests of our server.

I notified FileMaker of this and hope they can solve our problem.

This topic is 8278 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.