how make a find on summary field?

This topic is 2693 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

i have an invoice solution with a summary field that summarize the price of all the line items, now i want to make a layout that shows only the invoices that are more than 500 dollars total.

i have been trying but summary field in find mode is not modificable.

please let me know any solution

thank you 

Mauricio 

You don't really want to do that (using summary fields for this).  Each time you display the invoice FM has to recalculate.  If the line items don't change then that is just a waste to time and resources, and it makes it horribly slow for any kind of reporting.

Make it a scripted approach where adding a line item or updating it, also updates the totals on the invoice.  That way those fields are just static numbers that don't need to be constantly recalculated; and reporting on them is very very fast.

1 hour ago, fileman922 said:

summary field in find mode is not modificable.

Try using a calculation field (defined in the Invoices table) =

Sum ( LinetItems::ExtendedPrice )

20 minutes ago, Wim Decorte said:

Make it a scripted approach where adding a line item or updating it, also updates the totals on the invoice.

That's not something I would recommend to a novice.

2 hours ago, comment said:

That's not something I would recommend to a novice.

I would.  It is not very hard to do.

And even if it does not get adopted right away, it plants the seed to explore that venue in the future.

15 hours ago, comment said:

It is not at all easy to do reliably.

It IS easy to do reliably; the core techniques for this have been around for decades and are well established, easy to follow, easy to learn from.

I train and mentor devs on this for a living.  I've never encountered anyone who did not get it quickly.

Thus reinforcing my point about context. You're claiming this is easy, anybody can do it and set up a reliable process.

Comment has expressed doubts about broad, easy, reliable adoption by other developers.

I tend to agree with him on this. 

Other developers being: the people who aren't paid to be in the room with Wim. People who don't work for you.

I tend to not agree.  While it is more work and there are more things to consider; it is not that hard.  So all that I am trying to do is provide some encouragement.  The pay-offs are huge, the investment not so big.

This topic is 2693 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.