Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Container Fields for Signature

This topic is 2752 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I do not understand what I am doing wrong.  Every Google Link says that all you have to do is place the container field on the layout …. yet when I do it … I can not get the signature pop up to pop up??

I have a container fields that is on a layout that I navigate to on the iPad mini.

Now for some reason, when I tap the container fields, I highlight the fields ( I get a raised border ) and then the "Prev" and "Next" button appear at the bottom of the screen … no pop up that will allow signature capture.

Now I've rotated it to the landscape as instructed … no pop up to capture the signature???

What am I doing wrong ??

I've selected both check boxed for the Container Field in the "INSPECTOR" trying to solve this issue … Google and clicked on everything Link out there,  yet everybody say all that is required is to place the container field on the layout and that is it!!! 

Hmm … Any guidance what I am doing wrong, I would be grateful.

The behavior your describing can happen if you're not on an active record, such as if there are no records in your current found set. Without a record, you can't set a container field in that record with a signature, so there's no popover. What does FileMaker tell you the current record is (in the center of the same toolbar where you see the "Previous" and "Next" buttons)? After you create a record, the container import options popover should appear when you enter the container field just fine.

If you want to limit your users to only be able to enter a signature in the container field, and not also have options for "Camera,", "Audio," "Photos," "Music," and "Files," you should look into upgrading to FileMaker Pro and Go 13. 13 introduced the Insert From Device script step, which allows you to limit the container input options to only signature capture.

Sometimes little things can throw me.  Have you made sure you can enter the field?  It is Inspector Data tab and allow in Browse.  This probably is not the reason but it has caught me before, too many times to admit.

HTH

• 2 months later...
  • Newbies

One thing you may want to double-check is to make sure that you're not using Custom Menus, because Custom Menus may be interfering with this. In order for FileMaker Go to insert information into a container field, the "Insert" menu MUST be accessible to the user. Otherwise, the container field won't let you insert anything.

• Like 1

• Newbies

More specifically, different items underneath the "Insert" menu must be accessible. For example, "Insert Picture" must be accessible to the user in order for the "Camera", "Signature", and "Photos" buttons to be available. "Insert Audio/Video" must be accessible in order for the "Audio" and "Music" buttons to be available. And "Insert File" must be accessible for the "Files" button to be available.

Hi jbante,

I want to put my signature in a global.  Then when the client likes what they see they commit to the record where I run a script and push the global signature container to the record signature container.

I don't want to be on the record initially.  Can't I use a Global for my signature.  Can I put this container field in the Header ?? Footer?? Trailing Grand Summary ??

Can you please explain why it has to be on the record and the limitations on GLOBAL Container Fields when it comes to accessing the signature pop up in GO.

Here is my problem.  I build reports, the body is the line item that is listed in the report like invoice items.  I place the signature field in my grand summary area where it belongs not on the record ( List ) of the report.  Plus my signature is on the invoice table not the invoice Line Item Table, but the report is built from the invoice line items so I have to place my signature block from another table and the only logical please is in the ... "Header", "Footer" or "Trailing Sub Summary"

Anyway, there is 40 thousand people one the web instructing everybody how to put a container / signature block on a "Layout" I know how to put fields on layouts ... but not one person has any insight what to do when the signature block does not pop the signature window.  Not even Filemaker Inc.

Ibante, you are the only one making sense here, any insight I would be grateful.

Thank you.

What version of FileMaker go and pro are you using?

Does this problem occur if you access the file with full access privilege?

If you a running a script with this process do you have Run with Full Access privileges checked?

Btw, you can place the global container field anywhere on your layout.

I want to put my signature in a global.  Then when the client likes what they see they commit to the record where I run a script and push the global signature container to the record signature container.

I don't want to be on the record initially.  Can't I use a Global for my signature.  Can I put this container field in the Header ?? Footer?? Trailing Grand Summary ??

Can you please explain why it has to be on the record and the limitations on GLOBAL Container Fields when it comes to accessing the signature pop up in GO.

Here is my problem.  I build reports, the body is the line item that is listed in the report like invoice items.  I place the signature field in my grand summary area where it belongs not on the record ( List ) of the report.  Plus my signature is on the invoice table not the invoice Line Item Table, but the report is built from the invoice line items so I have to place my signature block from another table and the only logical please is in the ... "Header", "Footer" or "Trailing Sub Summary"

You can enter the signature in a global field, but there still has to be a record in the table containing the global field. I know it doesn't make obvious sense; that's just a quirk of FileMaker — every programming tool has its quirks. Global fields don't have any unique limitations regarding what you want to accomplish here, but they don't necessarily have any unique capabilities, either.

Your new comments introduce some other variables I haven't thought to test: container fields in related tables and putting them in a variety of layout parts. I put together a quick test for myself with some variations on that, and signature capture worked fine on all of them — as long as the table containing the global field had a record in it. In the case of a layout based on invoice line item records, all related to an invoice record, presumably the related invoice record does exist, and putting the global field in that table doesn't create any problems.

Are you using a separate utility table to put all your globals in? It's a common practice, and I forget to put in a guarantee that there's a record in that table just about every time. If the table containing the global field doesn't have any records in it, I get exactly the behavior you describe: the global field can become the active field, but I can't actually enter anything. I solve it by adding a few steps to the OnFirstWindowOpen script to create a record in that table if there aren't any records already, and that seems to clear up most of this sort of issue.

• 3 weeks later...

jbante,

Me again.

Well I double checked both tables and both tables have records present.  Plus I tested the relationship to the other table by placing a "Signature" text fields where I entered "TEXT" my name, into the "Signature Print" fields and the data wrote to the other table.

So I am at a loss as to why I can not pop my Signature pop up in the FM GO App.

I created a separate file with two table with a relationship and yes, i was able to pop the Signature pop up in the FM GO App using this real basic set up.

But I've created an invoice using two tables.  Table one is my invoice table and table 2 in my invoice lines table.

My script goes to the invoice lines table, performs a find for the Invoice ID.

Now I've build a SubSummary Report with ONE PART sort by Invoice ID.

I've got a Trailing Grand Summary so I have an area to display the line item totals

And I've place my signature block within the Trailing Grand Summary.

Please see attached pic.

Why I can not get my signature field to pop the FM GO signature window is beyond me.

Any suggestions I would be grateful.

Thank you.

Tom

BrowseMode.pdf

LayoutMode.pdf

It makes sense that the field wouldn't let you enter data if you didn't have write privileges for that field, but it doesn't make sense that you have to go all the way and use the [Full Access] privilege set. Try creating another privilege set, and make sure that it does have write access to the field. Then does the signature capture work?

• 2 years later...

This topic is 2752 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.