Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Scrollable Text Fields (without entering to edit)

Hijack

This topic is 2490 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Anyone have or know of a technique to employ to create a scrollable, read-only text field?  This is mostly for FMGo (smaller iPhone display).  

In large text blocks flagged as read-only you either have to expand the text field to cover all expected text and scroll the entire layout or hack something together with a web viewer showing the text which requires a fair bit of html crafting to get the formatting to look right with the other layout objects.

I'd like a more seamless solution (if one is possible) that keeps the hacking down to a minimum.

thanks

Edited by Hijack

Hi There

This has been asked many times before, and is a tricky one. The built-in FM functionality makes it difficult.

You can use a an OnObjectModify script trigger on a modifiable field, and just reject the keyboard input with a script if the user is not permitted to enter text. However, you can still copy/paste into the field I have found using this technique.

The web viewer technique you mention is a popular one.

Maybe someone else has a better idea, but I have wrestled with this a few times and never been too satisfied.

Make a calculation field the equals the text field. Have that calculation field the one  for the user display and add the ability for scrolling.

Thanks for suggestion, Lee.  But, unfortunately on an iPhone, there's not much screen real estate to begin with.  So, popping into a calculation field that mirrors another text field still calls up the on-screen keyboard which educes reading space even more.  I also have some conditional formatting at play and going into edit mode clears those format changes during the edit session in the field.

This topic is 2490 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.