Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Help with relationships

Karina_TX

This topic is 2376 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Karina, welcome to FMForums!  :)

Your relationships look correct but let's walk through it.  Please indicate if any of the following are incorrect:

1. One Tenant can have multiple Property Listings.
  2. One Property Listing can NOT have more than one Tenant.
  3. One Tenant can have multiple Invoices.
  4. One Property Listing can have multiple Services against it.
  5. One Service can NOT apply to multiple Property Listings at a time.

Does that fit for you?  As for the Rent History, that would probably depend upon the answers to 1 and 2.

Also, it isn't needed for this specific question but it helps if you complete your profile.  It would help to know your self-rating so we know whether to go into specific detail with our answers or whether you'll be familiar with various terms etc.  And for many questions, it helps to know your OS and FM versions.  :-)

Thank you so much LaRetta for your response. I am so glad i found this website. To answer your question Yes to all of them except the first, One Tenant can have one property listing.

So what should i change? And i am not sure if i need Rent History table. Your help is greatly appreciated :)

Oh i finished my profile :)

2 minutes ago, Karina_TX said:

One Tenant can have one property listing.

That is fine.  And, as you have it, one Tenant can be 'paying' for, or be responsible for, one or multiple Property Listings.  I would suggest that what you consider 'Rent History' should actually be a join table between Property and Tenant.  

Join Property_IDFK from Property to RentHistory.  Then join Tenant_IDFK over to Tenant.  This allows more flexibility, such as a Tenant leaving then coming back and it allows one Tenant to be responsible for multiple Properties etc.

• Like 1

One more thing I've noticed ...

Your Services and Rent History tables do not appear to have a unique ID.  You really should have one in every table.  If you ever lost your data or had to restore, you would use this unique ID to update/correct or replace the records.  It's more than just used for a relational key.

Without knowing your business quite a bit more, I am only guessing here but I would consider the RentalHistory more the 'contract period'.  If rent can change over time, the rental agreement on the monthly charge would be in Rental History ... charge THIS Tenant THIS much for THIS property for this timeframe.

Your Invoices should be related to this RentalHistory table as:  'this invoice is charged to this tenant during this rental agreement for this property.  

I guess that was two things, LOL.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I really need your help i have to finish this project asap. any help would be greatly appreciated. here is what i am trying to do:

i want to display tenant info, payment records and services related to a particular property ( see tabs in the picture) how do i create this relationship ?

and if you want to suggest add-on to my application interface to make it look better Please do, but nothing complicated :)db.thumb.PNG.8420c92aa89cb147ecef6901694987c8.PNG

This topic is 2376 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.