Creating a new field to sync - please remind me...

This topic is 2340 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Using Mirrorsync 3.

A new field is needed.

It will be created on the server and added to the appropriate sync layout, new Mirrorsync script will be created, etc.

There will be a lag time  - a couple weeks - while existing users continue to use - and sync - their un-modified  remote databases before they can download a new copy from the server.

It's been a while since I made such a change... please remind me... how does this change manifest for those users who have not yet got the updated version while they continue to sync with older databases?

Do they see an error on each sync saying the new field is unavailable?

Just trying to manage user expectations :)

Thanks,

ft.

Lee,

Please stop nagging me.

It's not my fault that there was a loss of information at the site.

Am I breaking terms of service or any other forum rules by not updating the info that was lost?

ft..

fishtech,

10 hours ago, fishtech said:

It's not my fault that there was a loss of information at the site.

it's not my fault either, but as a Moderator, I'm trying to keep this shit up-to-date. This information helps us help you.

10 hours ago, fishtech said:

Am I breaking terms of service or any other forum rules by not updating the info that was lost?

I don't know, you tell me. Here is the link https://fmforums.com/terms/ you might look at the section titled THE MODERATORS AND YOU 

Have a nice day.

Lee

On 10/27/2017 at 11:48 AM, fishtech said:

Hi,

Using Mirrorsync 3.

A new field is needed.

It will be created on the server and added to the appropriate sync layout, new Mirrorsync script will be created, etc.

There will be a lag time  - a couple weeks - while existing users continue to use - and sync - their un-modified  remote databases before they can download a new copy from the server.

It's been a while since I made such a change... please remind me... how does this change manifest for those users who have not yet got the updated version while they continue to sync with older databases?

Do they see an error on each sync saying the new field is unavailable?

Just trying to manage user expectations :)

Thanks,

ft.

Your existing users will continue to sync their old set of fields as if nothing happened. They won't see any error messages, but they won't send/receive any data in the new field. Just be sure you're not renaming or removing any of the schema, and the users won't know the difference.

This topic is 2340 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.