Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Some users getting "Table Missing" when accessing remotely

This topic is 1894 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I don't even know where to begin with this one.

We have a quite large and complicated database developed continuously over the last 10 years. We are currently running Filemaker Server 16 on Windows Server 2008 R2 and all clients are using FMP 16, all on windows 10. Recently we have started working on allowing remote access to our system for employees on the road or working from home. Also recently added a separate interface file that uses the original file as a data source to provide a dedicated sales interface. Other than struggling with the performance over widely varying internet speeds the system has been up and running successfully. Until a few days ago...

Here's what's happening.

I am the developer and am located remotely. I do my development through team viewer but I can test the direct remote access.
I am able to access the database remotely as well as open the separate interface file and all is well.

User1
Accessing remotely opens the main database file and the fields all show "Table Missing".

User2
Accesses the main database remotely and all is well but when she opens the sales interface file all fields in that file show "Table Missing".

The system is operating normally for the 10 or so users at the local office. I have accessed User 2s computer remotely through team viewer and logged in to the database using my user name and password and I get the same result she does, so it's not based on the user account. So currently I'm looking at 3 different remote access locations all getting different results. We are all within  the US and only a state or two away from the local office.

I have rebooted the server this morning but no change.

I don't even know where to begin. Any help would be appreciated...

In 'Manage External Data Sources', are you referencing the data file in a way that remote users cannot see (because of IP addresses/firewalls maybe), when perhaps you could reference them using the relative file path (e.g. file:myDataFile assuming they are held on the same server in the same location)?

It's just a thought, as there must be some difference between what remote users can do, and what local users can do.

Let me revise my response to bcoony. The UI file is opened from the main file by firing a script that then runs an external openning script in the UI file. Not sure if that makes a difference but it's not using an explicit open file command as the question asked. Do you think it would make a difference using an open file script step instead?

rwoods
I've double checked the External Data Sources and both files are connected to each other as External Data Sources using the relative paths ( file:CAMv1 and file:CAMv1_Sales ). The files do reside in the same folder on the same sever.

In this case the data file is the main file that is already open. The UI file is opened from the data file. The Main file is a self contained file that I have been working with for years. I recently developed and added the Sales file as a UI file that uses the main file as a Data file.

User 2 reported this afternoon that she was able to open the interface file from the main file and it came up as it should.

User 1 as of last night was still getting Table Missing on the Main file. Can't access the Sales interface file without having access to the main file so he get's no where. He will not be able to try again until tonight.

Scratching my head..

Edited by Ron Cates

Network issues are so difficult to troubleshoot. I'd try to explicitly open the Sales UI file with File Open, not calling a script in the file. Yes, it should work, but...

So, my calling script from Main would be - Open Sales UI

Open Sales UI file

PS in Sales UI (whatever script I need/want to call).

Test that.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

And I whole heartedly agree. Network issues are very difficult. In the last couple months since I have been providing remote access to this system I have gotten reports a variety of different experiences from different users in different locations. It's so hard to trouble shoot any issue when I can't reproduce what the user is reporting from my own location.

• 1 year later...
  • Newbies

Hello Ron,

did you resolve your issue?

I get a similar problem, under MacOS and Windows.

Some users (it happen 1 or twice a year) get these <Table Missing> in some layouts.

By reinstalling FM, the problem is fixed. But be sure to delete all FM files in the library, preferences, … otherwise it does not work.

I didn't find yet which file(s) make this trouble.

Good luck

Ben

I have exactly the same issue. The only way I can make it work is by having the problematic file open at the same time. Then the tables will appear. It’s strange as I have 2 other databasss which also link remotely which works fine.

i think it’s the server.pem file that is causing the issue. Mines only 3kb and it wants to be around 6kb. I can’t test it as don’t have another server.pem file. (Windows)

Minuit/Ben are you able to locate this file so we can try it?

regards,

Ben 

Edited by Ben Ball
Update to name

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

This error can be solved by clearing the FileMaker cache.  Here's an article that explains how:

https://www.productivecomputing.com/blog/taking-out-the-cache-the-hidden-gem-of-filemaker-troubleshooting/

This topic is 1894 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.