Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Performing FIND script with Filemaker GO

This topic is 2369 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database that assigns task to workers in my cabinet shop.  The field "Worker" is populated from a drop-down value list.

If you want to find all of the tasks assigned to a particular worker you select their name in the "Worker" field then click a (FIND WORKER)  button that drives a FIND script.

The FIND script reads as follows:

1 - Set Error Capture  [On]

2  - Copy [Select Entire Contents]

3  - Enter Find Mode [ ]

4   - Paste [ Select ]

5   - Perform Find [ ]

All of this works fine when run on a desktop computer but does not work at all when run in FilemakerGO on an iPad.

Is there something I need to do different or is this script not compatible with FilemakerGo?

"you select their name in the "Worker" field " - this is a global field I hope? Ideally, the value list is worker::id and worker::name_full or a popover with a portal selector.

You shouldn't relate Workers to Tasks by their name, but rather by ids. So,  worker::id = task::id_worker

Anyway, starting at a Task List layout (based on a Task table occurrence):

1. User selects worker (ideally, their id) in global popup menu.

2. Enter Find Mode

3. Set field task::id_worker to global field

4. Perform Find

Don't use clipboard copy/paste.

So many ways to accomplish finding a specific worker's assigned tasks. You could simply Enter Find Mode (Pause) and let the user enter search criteria. Then the script Resumes and Performs Find.

Hi Jarvis,

I'm currently following a free course by Matt Petrowsky, at ISO FileMaker Magazine  called "The Scriptology Mastery Course for FileMaker Learners."  You can sign up for it at his site or on YouTube.

Each Video Lesson takes about 45 minutes, but expect to spend more than that because, you will probably want to watch some videos more than once. You don't have to watch live, but you get more of the classroom atmosphere if you can join in at 11:00 a.m. and have the time for it.

So far Matt has Covered the FileMaker Environment , Fields and Calculations and now is into the Data Structure & Schema.

I've been a FileMaker developer since 1995. I wish this kind of information was available to me when I first started. 

The Data Structure & Schema Lessons contain's several lessons about Relationships, including the use of UUIDs instead of names, as Barbara has stated in her Reply.

BTW, I highly recommend this FREE course to anyone wanting to increase, or hone their FileMaker Pro Skills.

One caveat though, you don't have to have FileMaker Pro Advance, but it will be beneficial to you if you do, as he refers and uses it all of the time.

HTH

Lee

Edited by Lee Smith
fixed a link and modified my text

This topic is 2369 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.