Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can we do math calculations with scripting?

This topic is 2347 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

After reading a whole bunch, and a huge thank you to these forums for all the resources! I figured out how to do exactly what I need.

I need to create a script on a button, and with FileMaker go I can use "Get from Device" to scan from iOS.

So now I need some help finding some more resources to make this last script I need!

Here's how it should work:

Open Find
Insert into field "location" from Device.
Search
((Maybe confirm it is right item?))
Pop up dialog box "How many are you using?"
User Input will take current "amount" and subtract what they put in.
Save Record

Thank you so much for the help!

I don't understand the question. It seems to me like you've already identified what needs to be done. I would recommend breaking it down and getting one portion working at a time, doing whatever research/experimenting you need to figure out each step. If you searched through the help file, I think you'd find you can piece this together. For your first step "Open Find" for example, you might want to read this: https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/16/fmp/en/#page/FMP_Help%2Ffind-request.html.

The reference section of the help is useful for exploring what script steps are available: https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/16/fmp/en/#page/FMP_Help%2Fscript-steps-category.html%23

Here is some more general help on writing a script: https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/16/fmp/en/#page/FMP_Help%2Fscripts.html%23

• Like 2

I see Dan responded about searching but I had created this sample file showing how you can add or decrease values in any number field using Show Custom Dialog[].  So once you've found your desired record, the user action of selecting it will pop up a dialog.

However, it usually works better to use RECORDS to add or decrease a field's value because that will allow a history of the changes.  If you simply change a field, you will never know when it was changed, who changed it or its prior value.  You would completely lose your audit/history trail and if a mistake happens, you'll never know how to switch it back.

Using a related table showing an 'adjustment record', or even adding a record in the same table might be better approach (we have no reference of the purpose so it is difficult to provide more definitive answer on where the adjustment record should be created). If you wish to explain the purpose of this action, we could help you pin it down further.

I hope between Dan and I, we've helped you move forward on your request. :-)

AdjustAmount.fmp12

On 11/10/2017 at 12:18 PM, LaRetta said:

I see Dan responded about searching but I had created this sample file showing how you can add or decrease values in any number field using Show Custom Dialog[].  So once you've found your desired record, the user action of selecting it will pop up a dialog.

However, it usually works better to use RECORDS to add or decrease a field's value because that will allow a history of the changes.  If you simply change a field, you will never know when it was changed, who changed it or its prior value.  You would completely lose your audit/history trail and if a mistake happens, you'll never know how to switch it back.

Using a related table showing an 'adjustment record', or even adding a record in the same table might be better approach (we have no reference of the purpose so it is difficult to provide more definitive answer on where the adjustment record should be created). If you wish to explain the purpose of this action, we could help you pin it down further.

I hope between Dan and I, we've helped you move forward on your request. :-)

AdjustAmount.fmp12

You’re extremely close in what I need, but I’m not quite grasping how to implement.

I need a warehouse man in my company he able to scan a bar code, and enter a number for how many he’s using and it will deduct it from the current number that’s in the field.

i would love to have a history or trail of it, but I’m a bit unsure on how you mean.

I've asked my fair share of questions and received tons of help on the forums.  But in this case, with an inventory tracking database, bar codes, multiple users (server?), syncing data-it's quite complicated. 

If it were me, I would consider looking for a FileMaker developer to, at the very least, set this up to get the ball rolling.  Proper fields/calculations & relationships are a must.  You could spend a huge amount of time going down the wrong path, only to have to start over.  

I'm not saying you couldn't figure it out, with some help here, and everything will be fine.  I'm saying I would at least want the initial (proper) structure set up, and know it's correct.

• Like 1

After looking through everything, I just need someone to help me with a sample file (which is a lot to ask for! I know!)

Basically, I will add a button to my layout that starts a script (HUGE THANK YOU to LaRetta)

It'll do one thing.

Insert from Device (QR Code) a numerical value that's unique to each record.

Bring up that one, that's all.

Once you tap the "Quantity" it'll bring up the script that LaRetta showed me how to make.

But above that, is there any good developers/sites who could look into doing this.

I am not available right now and it looks like you have lots of good help.  Also, I simply have never used a scanner so I would hesitate in assisting with the scan portion.  I only have one suggestion for you at this point:  do not rush this decision.  Be sure this step gets you closer to a structurally-solid solution.  Changing a structure later on (once it has business data) is much more difficult than designing it properly in the first place.

Really, I again suggest you create a record with the scan.  You can search here on FMForums; I know there have been many examples presented on scanning and creating records.  Hang in there.  FileMaker is fairly easy to learn but it still is not simple; particularly an inventory process.

1 hour ago, LaRetta said:

I am not available right now and it looks like you have lots of good help.  Also, I simply have never used a scanner so I would hesitate in assisting with the scan portion.  I only have one suggestion for you at this point:  do not rush this decision.  Be sure this step gets you closer to a structurally-solid solution.  Changing a structure later on (once it has business data) is much more difficult than designing it properly in the first place.

Really, I again suggest you create a record with the scan.  You can search here on FMForums; I know there have been many examples presented on scanning and creating records.  Hang in there.  FileMaker is fairly easy to learn but it still is not simple; particularly an inventory process.

We already have a real solid foundation and it has been working well for us.

We just don't have the ability to scan right now, which is what I am up to the task to add.

On 11/13/2017 at 3:55 PM, LaRetta said:

We would need to see your file.  We can't give a solution with no information on how you are structured.  Did you search here for scanner scripts as I suggested?

I have, and almost worked it out.

How do I send you my file?

Hi Kyrie,

56 minutes ago, Kyrie said:

How do I send you my file?

Notice the paperclip below the body of a Reply, it answers how.

There are two ways.

1. Drag a file to that area
  2. Select your file on your hard drive by clicking on the "choose files..." button.

HTH

Lee

10 minutes ago, Lee Smith said:

Hi Kyrie,

Notice the paperclip below the body of a Reply, it answers how.

There are two ways.

1. Drag a file to that area
  2. Select your file on your hard drive by clicking on the "choose files..." button.

HTH

Lee

Lee,

My apologies, I guess the most appropriate question is how do I save my file from Filemaker Server.

You'll need to get the file from the desktop of the server, you can't do it via the FileMaker client -- you can only do that when it's un-hosted.

Also be sure to close or pause the file before copying it -- or just copy from your backups folder.

This topic is 2347 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.