Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Using Custom Dialogue Box after Pause

This topic is 2041 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a script that the user triggers to set up an email which they can then edit and send.  After sending, I want the user to have an option to store a record of the email in a sub-table - because if the user cancels the email, there should be no record of having sent one.  I'm thinking the way this should work is I use 'Pause Script'  after the 'Send Mail' step, and then after the user finishes in the email window and returns to Filemaker and either cancels the rest of the script process or continues with it and the sub-record is created.

This can be achieved by just having the user click "Continue" or "Cancel" on the window . . . but those buttons can be a little hard to notice if you don't already know to look for them. I'd think a Custom Dialogue offering the option would be better - - but is there a way to resume the script via a dialogue box - - or any way to get the script going again aside from using the timer option? - - or perhaps just a better way to approach this ?

So, the need is to allow the user to create an email that is stored in the database and to either send the email or forget the whole attempt? Perhaps create the email in a card window that uses a utility table (of global fields). Then, the card can have a Send button (calls a script that creates the email record - sends or queues for server sending). Cancel button just closes the card. Clear/set the globals on card window open.

It sounds like you're using the user's email client to send mail. As you've discovered, that makes it a little tricky to control the workflow. Have you considered using the SMTP option to send mail? That would make this pretty easy, using Barbara's method or whatever. You would control the Cancel action.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments -- I took the card Window approach and it's working great.  Not sure whether my client wants to use the SMTP option.  If you use that approach, the email goes right out, when triggered, yes?   Unlike the client method, where they get a chance to edit further in the Mail window.?

Yes, SMTP sends without showing the mail client. As I mentioned above

"Then, the card can have a Send button (calls a script that creates the email record - sends or queues for server sending). "

So, the email becomes a record in FM. Perhaps an Activities table.

• Like 1

This topic is 2041 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.