Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Runtime Aplication

This topic is 1751 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When using a runtime you have to create it on the platform it is meant for; so one created on macOS, one on Windows.

As to whether it will cover your needs: many features are not available in a runtime, most notably the ability to connect to a host.  But also other things like "save as PDF", many of the newer functions.

And the whole runtime technology is deprecated so it may go away with a future version of FM altogether so as a long-term strategy it is something to keep in mind.

Carefully test your runtime to make sure everything works as expected.

Yes, you can create multi-platform solutions. It’s one of FM’s great strengths.

but to make the runtime work on Windows you have to generate the runtime on windows. Not the FM file, that one is already x-plat by nature. But the runtime engine is platform specific.

FM Server is needed to share data with other users.  FMS is both the central repository and gives you the ability to process certain things server-side instead of client side.

Runtimes cannot connect to FMS.

You don't need FMS if every user will only have their own data and don't need to share anything.

You cannot create one exe that works on each platform.  Your FM file works on all platforms but the runtime is the wrapper around your file to make it work and that one is platform specific.   Just like FM Pro Advanced is.

No, if they have a runtime, they don't need FM.  The runtime wrapper takes the place of FM and lets the user interact with your file.  Your FM file gets 'embedded' into the runtime.

But again: the runtime has many limitations, so test very thoroughly so that you don't get caught out by them.

A runtime solution has two main components: the runtime application (executable) and the solution file. The runtime application is platform-specific - same as the FMP application - and must be created under the target OS.  In fact, the runtime application is just a crippled version of the FMP application.

4 minutes ago, Wim Decorte said:

Your FM file gets 'embedded' into the runtime.

Bound, not embedded. 

Edited by comment

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much fo your time and all help.

My final doubt is: for sample when i create an solution in Java or Python and i deploy it in a executable using sqlite, i able to access it from any systems without Python or Java installed.

It,s possible make the same with FM, if yes how can i proceed?

It is more or less the same with Filemaker: if you produce a runtime, then your users need to install the runtime and nothing else. But the runtime can only open the local solution file bound to it. 

If your file is hosted by FM Server, users can access the solution using only a web browser:
https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/18/fms/en/index.html#page/FMS_Help%2Fhostsite-fmwd.html

The main difference is that with a runtime each user has their own solution file. With a hosted file, all users work in the same file and see each other's changes.

17 hours ago, Caio Euzébio said:

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much fo your time and all help.

My final doubt is: for sample when i create an solution in Java or Python and i deploy it in a executable using sqlite, i able to access it from any systems without Python or Java installed.

It,s possible make the same with FM, if yes how can i proceed?

The main difference is that when you do this in Java or Python (or .NET or any of the other platforms) your end result has the exact functionality you designed; you don't lose any functionality by the 'packaging' into the exe.

As mentioned a few times in this thread: the FM runtime is deprecated and does NOT have the full functionality of the regular FM Pro client.  So research that carefully based on what you do in your FM file.

This topic is 1751 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.