Gmail App Specific Password / 2-Factor, 'Less Secure Apps' Deprecated

This topic is 1725 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

FileMaker 16 Pro Advanced, connected to FileMaker 16 Server
EmailWorks v3.0.8

Yesterday, July 30, 2019, I received an email from G Suite that they are deprecating Less Secure Apps (LSA) in October 2019. Currently, enabling LSA is discussed in the 360Works documentation:

...Gmail also requires that you change the "allow less secure apps" to true in order to connect to it with 3rd party software. This setting can be changed in the Security section in account settings.

I went to admin.google.com and found the setting for LSA, turned it off, then enabled 2-factor authentication, created an app specific password, then opened a script that sends an email with PDF attachment, and replaced:

EmailConnectSMTP( "smtp.gmail.com:465" ;
                  "[email protected]" ;
                  "oldpassword123" ;
                  "ssl=1"
                 )

with the new app specific password:

EmailConnectSMTP( "smtp.gmail.com:465" ;
                  "[email protected]" ;
                  "abls dpqo eeow dpfoa" ;
                  "ssl=1"
                 )

Edit: This DOES work, but it does not work when you disable access to less secure apps for all users (admin.google.com > Security > Advanced Security Settings):

181795362_ScreenShot2019-07-31at1_13_22AM.thumb.png.3660b51a5bf48110f49a8070ce621a6f.png

If you disable, which is going to happen for everyone in a few months, you get this error message within 360Works Email plugin was:

Error
Authentication failed, please check authentication info.

What do I need to do to get the app specific password to work in FileMaker without using Less Secure Apps?

Edited by fmjv808
typo

5 hours ago, fmjv808 said:

What do I need to do to get the app specific password to work in FileMaker without using Less Secure Apps?

I don't think you can because it is up to Google as to what they define as Less Secure App... there's very little you can do on the FM side...

Hi fmjv,

As Wim has said, this change would ultimately be up to how Google decides to handle how Gmail connects with 3rd party software. There wouldn't be anything that could be done on the FileMaker side to connect with a service that is blocking access.

That being said, please forward a copy of the email you received detailing this change to [email protected], and I will take a look at it to see if there any other changes that might let the service allow a connection. I will bring this issue to the attention of our developers, and hopefully we can find an alternative.

This topic is 1725 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.