Trying to figure out how to make some views editable and some not

This topic is 1431 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I'm very much new to filemaker pro advanced 18 and would love some help.  I really have two separate questions, the first is what is a good place to go for text based tutorials on FMPA 18?  The main concern I have is that I am trying to build an app for my company and basically what we really need is the ability to build an input form that anyone can use.  I've done this by creating a form layout and adding the fields that I want data to be input.  After that, we need a different layout or view screen that shows the data as a spreadsheet-ish entity that CANNOT be edited.  You would be forced to enter data through the input layout and can view everything through the spreadsheet or table.  Is this arrangement possible?  If so what would be the best way to achieve this?  I'm a programmer and am having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that there are different view modes and am struggling to find tutorials that cover the exact uses for the different views and how to control things.  

Check out videos at Lynda.com or https://www.productivecomputinguniversity.com even Youtube has videos of presentations from past conferences.

Yes you can create layouts where users enter data - and once they progress to a point you navigate them to another layout that prevents edits. You can even have layouts that are designed for printing so the document is legible for that medium where as the data input is large or if deployed on an iPad more accessible to users fingers. 

A couple of things:

- in layout setup you can choose which views are available. Be sure to explore the table view properties options

- in layout mode you can select all fields on the layout and then in the inspector disable field entry > browse mode

For text-based training, the FileMaker Training Series is still probably the best, even though version 15 is the last one available. Most of it is still valid, especially for the basics:

https://www.filemaker.com/learning/archived-learning-resources.html

Welcome to the forums.

On 5/16/2020 at 12:13 AM, mferino said:

we need a different layout or view screen that shows the data as a spreadsheet-ish entity that CANNOT be edited.

It depends on what exactly "CANNOT be edited" means. The easiest way is to disable field entry (as already suggested). However, this also means that data cannot be selected and copied, for example. If you want to allow that and still prevent data from being modified, you need to set this up in the users' privilege set.

This topic is 1431 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.