Can someone please help with this script

Firstly by telling if it is even possible 

I have a customer contact database that I use to keep track of clients that use our services on an annual basis.  We are event photographers, and we are not guaranteed that a given client will rebook us every year, so I need to keep track of who the current contact is, what we offered them and so on and so forth.

When I eventually speak to the contact, I then need to follow up email with a PDF.

I have created a layout that is a letter format that contains the fields that has offer details that are specific to them. 

I want to be able to click a button that

1.  Switches the layout from the "Form" view, to the Letter layout. 
  2. Chooses "Current Record"
  3. Save/Sends a PDF version of the Letter Layout for that current record via email using the email address that is in the email address field in the "Current Record"
  4. Uses some boilerplate text for the email that would be included *somewhere* I suppose I need to make a new field in the DB to draw that from. 
  5. Also creates a salutation for the email pulling the first name of the contact for the "Current Record" 

I can do just about all of these things separately in some form, but making it all one single script is something I can not do. 

I would really y appreciate any help with this as while I have had FileMaker since about version 5, I am by no means a developer and just need to figure this out. 

Thanks,

Craig

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, dtsvirinko said:

Here's how I would go about creating a script for what you describe.

p0e_qJXFB9DywrC26zGr0pxo-hX3tfuQ1fbziCVI

Hi There.

Thanks very much for  your reply.  I must state, if it is not already obvious - I am substantially less than a newb when it comes to scripting, so I apologise it there are glaringly stupid errors.

I have entered the script that you offered, and have a few questions.

1) Can I get the PDF to be created WITHOUT needing to save it manually.

2) At the moment, the PDF is created and I am asked to choose where to save it, but it does not get attached automatically  to the email -

My hope is that I can do both questions 1 & 2 automagically. 🙂

3) For the subject line, as you see in the script that I have done, I created a new variable to add the client business name to the subject field, which is great.  However, I would like to add  an additional static line of text in there.  It seems if I add any more text to that line, it just ignores everything, including the variable.  I am guessing this is a syntax error, but have no idea how to correct it. 

4) I think this a syntax error the same problem as in 3, in that if I add anything to the message box OTHER than the recipient $firstname variable, then in this case it shows exactly what I wrote, including the variables, so like this:

Dear $firstname

"blah blah blah" ; $path

If I ONLY write

$firstname

Then is shows the value for first name for that record. 

Thank you  very much for your assistance, I am very grateful for your help. 

Craig

Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 3.37.53 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 3.56.15 pm.png

• Newbies

Hi Craig,

Sorry, I don't check on this forums over the weekend.

For #1. I notice that you have two Save to PDF script steps. You don't need the first one and just need the second. Make sure that you've selected "without dialog." That would take care of the saving part.

For #2. In the email setup dialog, at the very bottom notice the Attach File checkbox. Select the box. And then in Specify enter the $path variable.

This should take care of it for you. Let me know if you're still having trouble.

David.

• Thanks 1
On 6/15/2020 at 11:12 PM, dtsvirinko said:

Hi Craig,

Sorry, I don't check on this forums over the weekend.

For #1. I notice that you have two Save to PDF script steps. You don't need the first one and just need the second. Make sure that you've selected "without dialog." That would take care of the saving part.

For #2. In the email setup dialog, at the very bottom notice the Attach File checkbox. Select the box. And then in Specify enter the $path variable.

This should take care of it for you. Let me know if you're still having trouble.

David.

Hi David

Thanks so much! That worked!  😀😀👍👍

The issue I am having now, is how to correctly format text in the Message field for the email that I want to send, so I don't look like I failed grade 2.  I am using a calculation and have figured out that if I add a space "Hello_" where the underscore is, then I get Hello Bob and not HelloBob, where Bob is supplied using &table::ContactFirstName

What I can not workout is how to then start a new sentence on a new line,  I have seen the Paragraph character -->  ¶¶ in the side bar of the Calculation window but clearly I have not applied it correctly. 

I would be very appreciative if you could explain this to me. 

Thanks,

Craig