Common Scripts Between Databases?

This topic is 1379 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I created a solution for a client. The solution took a pile of their data and with a bunch of scripts, etc. produced analyses and reports. They liked it and wanted me to do the same thing with a different dataset. So I duplicated the database file, deleted all of the records and imported the new dataset (from a spreadsheet). Rinse and repeat. I now have four different files with four different datasets.

Everything works great, but the problem is that every time I fix or add something in a script, I have to do it four times. This is cumbersome and error prone. So maybe I didn't approach this correctly. Is there a better way?

I have an advance reporting table for a project where we get random requests that take more thought and don't want to bog down the main system with tones of duplicate data for various versions of reports or even cached data from past years.

I would create a data set table for requests as needed and employ a virtual list technique to facilitate the generation of the report.

Versioning requests should be a matter of new scripts perhaps new columns and logic to the virtual list table and if needed dedicated layouts for the printed reports

https://filemakerhacks.com Many ideas can be seen here.

Outside from that if you have 4 separate files that are INTENDED to identical except for the data set content you may consider making correction and changes in JUST ONE development copy then use the DataMigrationTool to update the subsequent files keeping their dataset intact.

• Like 1

it is difficult to advise with so little detail. Basically, your options are:

1. Keep all data within the same table in the same file, with a field to identify the data set. If the data sets are similar enough to fit in the same table, then this is definitely the preferred method.

2. Keep the scripts in a single external file; have your data files call the scripts from there.

3. Find a better method to propagate the changes to the other files (one was already mentioned).

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

This topic is 1379 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.