access privileges for -edit

This topic is 7902 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I made a page from the CDML Tool template. Security is set to Filemaker Access Privileges, and I have not defined any groups or passwords. So it should be wide open, right? Anybody can edit? Then why do I get the message: "You do not have access privileges to perform the action: edit"? I can search and create new records via the web, no problem, but I cannot edit. Working with CDML is like target shooting in a pitch black room. CDML Tool and CDML Reference both suck.

<FORM ACTION="FMPro" METHOD="post">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-DB" VALUE="GSCustomers">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-recid" VALUE="[FMP-currentrecid]">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-lay" VALUE="All_Variables">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-format" VALUE="editreply.htm">

<P>Fields<BR>

<INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="Field" VALUE="[FMP-Field: Field]">

<INPUT TYPE="submit" NAME="-edit" VALUE="Edit Record">

<INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="Field" VALUE="[FMP-Field: Field]">

Either the type needs to be changed to "hidden" or the "[fmp-field: field]"

needs to be changed to "".

You have been well advised to change the name "field" to a non-part.

When it comes to security you can choose FMPro Access OR Web Companion, not both. Web Companion is recommended for browser solutions.

The cdml tool is imo as useful as teats on a boar.

The cdml reference db is the developer's friend.

There is a learning curve, take a really deep breath and try to relax.

The field name is not actually "field". Rather than listing the 20 fields I have there, I just put "field" for the sake of simplicity.

The Web Security database is definitely not open and is not selected in the Web Companion configuration window.

The field is able to be edited on the layout within Filemaker.

"When it comes to security you can choose FMPro Access OR Web Companion, not both. Web Companion is recommended for browser solutions."

I'm not sure what this means. FMPro Access is selected in the Web Companion configuration window, so I don't know how it can be one or the other, but not both. Maybe you mean "Web Security database" instead of "Web Companion"?

I guess the next thing I'll try, unless somebody says, "I know exactly what the problem is!" is to set up access priveleges in Filemaker and see if using a password that allows edit access works.

Why do I always seem to find the problems no one else is having?

RE: Why do I always seem to find the problems no one else is having?

two reasons:

1 Every solution is different and therefore is effected differently even if the reason for the problem is common.

2 Because most people who use WC alone will be using Web Security Databasse, You can state access privs based on username and password or all users.

FMPro access privs should only be used if you have middleware that will handle the security for you - such as Lasso.

This topic is 7902 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.