Sorting Records after find is executed

This topic is 799 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi Folks,

Hope this is the right spot to post this.

The Standard sorting order (by creation date of the dataset) is probably the worst possible way to view my Database for most things. Resorting it everytime it get's opened isn't very feasable either as sorting the almost 30'000 datasets takes ages to complete and is annoying if it's done every time you log in, when you might only wanna search for somethign real quick. So I thought it might make much more sense to just sort the search results every time someone uses a find. (100 records are sorted in almost no time). I'm not quite sure which trigger I have to choose for this to work...

The claris Knowledgebase wasn't very helpfull in that regard, or at lest it wasn't for me. Would anyone might be able to guide me in the right direction to get this running? I don't currently have a search script or search layout per se to which I could just ammend a sort step at the end of the search script. All searches are currently done through Find Mode.

Thanks so much in advance 🙂 

When data sets get large there is no reason to operate in a full set and reversing the order -

What I prefer is to do a recent activity such as records modified in the past 30 days much fewer records to sort descending.

Or you can come up with a cache of UUID's for each record set and then do a pagination method to fetch more records.

Hello.

If you really want to perform a script (a find script for instance) after leaving Find Mode you should use the Layout ScriptTrigger. You can find this by choosing the menu item 'Layouts->Layout Setup...'

Use the 'OnModeExit' trigger and just select the 'Find' checkbox. Then select the script you wish to run.

Hope this helps.

Image.png

I am afraid the question, as it currently stands, is rather vague.

If your find is scripted, then it's a simple matter of adding a Sort Records step at the end of the script. If you are performing manual finds, you could use an OnModeEnter script trigger to sort the found records upon re-entering Browse mode. But this would only work in the layout/s where the script trigger is installed.

Edited by comment

This topic is 799 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.