Wrap around ellipsis (...)

Hey folks, I'm still rather new to FMP and this one is a little tough to put together. I created a field within a portal and it does what it's suppose to. All I'm trying to do is add is an ellipsis (...) once the word hits the end of the field and wraps around. Once I click on the field I can actually see all of its info. Click out of the field and it returns back to the ellipsis towards the end of the field. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks so much.

There are probably more and better ways to "skin the cat" - but I would put a popover button, with the dots upon. This button is then hidden with a calc when a char count doesn't exceeds a certain number. Then the popover would show the fields values in it's entiety...

--sd 

Hi sd, Thanks for the recommendation. Although I appreciate your way of doing this, of which I will definitely try, is it also possible of doing this the way I had envisioned? I'm just trying different variations. I just don't know how to create it your way or even mine. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Hi sd, Thanks for the recommendation. Although I appreciate your way of doing this, of which I will definitely try, is it also possible of doing this the way I had envisioned? I'm just trying different variations. I just don't know how to create it your way or even mine. Thanks!

Try to watch this video: 

1 hour ago, Christoph said:

is it also possible of doing this the way I had envisioned?

No, it is not.

First, a field will not show an ellipsis unless it actually contains an ellipsis. Even more problematic: it is not possible to determine reliably if a field contains more text than it shows by calculation alone - unless your field is formatted to display in a monospaced font. What Søren suggested can easily produce a false result when the number of characters is somewhere around the set limit.

The only way I know of to make such finding with certainty is to measure the field's height after entering it and compare this with its default size. That would require a script to go over every record to be shown in the portal, perform such measurement (using the actual field in the portal or another field with exactly the same size and font settings) and store the result in another field. And repeat the measurement every time the field is modified.

I doubt very much the result is worth the effort required.

Edited by comment

10 minutes ago, comment said:

What Søren suggested can easily produce a false result when the number of characters is somewhere around the set limit.

Yes and w's are somewhat larger in length, than an abundance of I's in a text  .....which brings up another issue; one fact per field if the normalization should be observed ... perhaps is the wrong tool thrown after this task, more a "spanner in the cog"

--sd

Hey guys, I appreciate both your efforts in helping me with this situation and I can see now that this isn't the best way to go. I'll continue researching and hopefully find a better way to get this to work. 

Thanks so much!

42 minutes ago, Christoph said:

I'll continue researching and hopefully find a better way to get this to work. 

Well you might make it work on every portal row by making the fadeout to the right side from Petrowski's video, and permanently have the popover button with the 3 dot shown at all times. This will make the users get a gist of what's happening, and if details are required, just press the 3-dottet button.

--sd

6 minutes ago, Søren Dyhr said:

Well you might make it work on every portal row by making the fadeout to the right side from Petrowski's video, and permanently have the popover button with the 3 dot shown at all times. This will make the users get a gist of what's happening, and if details are required, just press the 3-dottet button.

--sd

This is one way to go about it and the best suggestion so far. I'd have to look at Petroski's video again so it's clear as to how this is done. Being a newbie certainly has its disadvantages but I'm getting there. Thanks, sd!