Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Problem with Portal "Sort & Filter" under the Current Table

I'm struggling with a master-detail layout, particularly with the Sort and Filter features. While in Layout mode, when I double-click on the left-side portal (which only displays first and last names), I can't access the "Sort and Filter" options under Portal Setup because I'm showing records from the Current table. My goal is to have new records appear at the top of the portal row when created, rather than at the bottom. How can I achieve this? Thanks.

I'm still beating myself up with what I feel is such a simple solution and yet, I still can't figure it out. The most newly created records are placed at the top of the portal. Anyone?

Ignore you have a portal focus on the found set and the current sort order the portal is just a view in to this reality 

1 hour ago, Ocean West said:

Ignore you have a portal focus on the found set and the current sort order the portal is just a view in to this reality 

Thanks for sharing that, Ocean West. However, what you're describing still feels unfamiliar to me. Is there any chance you or someone else here could provide an example file to better illustrate it? Many thanks.

Do you know how to sort records in the found set?
https://help.claris.com/en/pro-help/content/sorting-records.html

Do that and the portal will follow.

Keep in mind that when records are sorted, a new record will be initially placed immediately after the current record. Only after committing, it will take its place in the  current sort order (assuming the "Keep records in sorted order" instruction is in force).

Thanks again for sharing your info on sorting records in the found set. While I understand it, I think they might be unnecessary what I need. I simply want to place the "newly created record" at the top of a portal row instead of the bottom, which is the current behavior. (The portal is strictly a list of my records and I do not use it to input any information. This is all done in the detail area of the layout). It seems like a straightforward adjustment, so I'm puzzled as to why it's proving difficult to implement. Yes, sorting records in a found set is important but unnecessary at this point. I feel I'm not being clear again thus making this more confusing than what it is. Yes, no?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Christoph said:

sorting records in a found set is important but unnecessary at this point.

I am afraid you are missing the most basic feature of the list-detail portal: it has no set of records or sort order of its own. It only displays records from the current found set, in the same order they appear in the current found set. That's why the options to sort and filter the records are dimmed: to "filter" the portal, you need to perform a find; and sorting the found set will also sort the records shown in the portal.

Edited by comment

Ah... Ok, I understand what you are saying and it's an excellent point. Because the "Sort" and "Filter" functions are dimmed, is there any other way via a script trigger or (?) to create a timestamp of the most current created record, which resides at the top of the list until the next record is created, and so on and so on?

Ah, got it! I see your point, and it's a valid one. Since the "Sort" and "Filter" functions are disabled, is there an alternative method, perhaps through a script trigger or some other means, to generate a timestamp for the latest created record? The goal is to ensure that the most recent entry always appears at the top of the list until a new record is added, maintaining this sequence continuously. If it can't be done because of the order they appear in the current found set, I will put this to rest. Thank you!

I am not sure I fully understand what you're after.

If you sort the records by creation timestamp, descending, then the most recently created record will be shown at the top. But, as I already mentioned earlier, this will happen only after the record has been committed.

I'm sorry if my directions were unclear. I thought I was conveying them effectively. Honestly, I'm not sure how to sort the records by creation timestamp, and I appreciate the time you've already dedicated to this. Let's set it aside for now. Thank you for your efforts, comment.