Jump to content

FMWSC on a Linux Server?


JenG
 Share

This topic is 7612 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Recommended Posts

Is it possible to install the Web Connector onto a Linux Web Server (running Apache) or is it only compatible with Windows and Mac servers?

If it can, will I run into any problems with the configuration of running FM Server 5.0 and a RAIC (Macs) and having a Linux Web Server?

Thanks for any info anyone has on this one.

crazy.gif" border="0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well WSC cannot be installed onto any unix based web servers, but Filemaker techinical support reckon that the 5.5 version *may* be able to, but they don't have a data on that at the moment.

Just thought I'd share that bit of information.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by JenG:

Well WSC cannot be installed onto any unix based web servers...

Which is really interesting statement. The MacX server is running Apache and I still believe "Mac server is Unix based and Web Connector is working on that and Apache".

Well, FileMaker is Apple Inc. subsidiary, they should know, shouldn't they?

Did you call the UK FileMaker or US FM?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That was the UK tech support and the guy was very adamant that the Linux/WSC was a definite impossibility.

I found them pretty unhelpful on the whole matter, and I also felt that they really should know if the 5.5 version could, (also very vague about the release date). I tried to mail US tech support but got a standard reply telling me to contact the UK (probably due to my UK email address). Do US support tend to be more knowledgable?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by JenG:

That was the UK tech support and the guy was very adamant that the Linux/WSC was a definite impossibility.

I found them pretty unhelpful on the whole matter, and I also felt that they really should know if the 5.5 version could, (also
very
vague about the release date). I tried to mail US tech support but got a standard reply telling me to contact the UK (probably due to my UK email address). Do US support tend to be more knowledgable?

Feel free to contact me; I have British Passport it will be in Family

smile.gif" border="0

In this case just try to install it. I am no expert at all, but the Mac X Server is BSD based. And the WebConnector is designed for Apache.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I'm running WSC (FMP 5 Unlim) on Mac OS X Server 1.2 which is totally UNIX, but it is based on the old OPENSTEP/NeXTSTEP directory structure which is slightly different from most standard flavors of UNIX, this may be where you run into problems, so pay close attention to where the installer is trying to put things.

The new versions of OS X, and OS X Server are based on openBSD so they've got more standard dir structures, I'd image that when FMI updates for those OS's the install will be much more compatible with other *nix's

quote:

WSC cannot be installed onto any unix based web servers

I can't believe they said that. My FMP Uunlimited box says: "Apache 1.3.6 on Mac OS X Server 1.02 or later"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by Arin:

I can't believe they said that. My FMP Uunlimited box says: "Apache 1.3.6 on Mac OS X Server 1.02 or later"

I thought it was a little strange too, and verified that was what he meant.

Looks like were not going to use WSC and are going down a route of using some kind of linux proxy, which someone else is sorting out the details of, but thanks for all the info on this topic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is 7612 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.