Server Maintenance This Week. ×

What's the best to use FMP on the WEB?

This topic is 8045 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone,

I'm new in FMP world, and I have to put a FMP database on the web...

I worked with ASP technology, and I know about PHP technology. I read about the WebCompanion that allow us to easily put a FMP database on the web...I saw some code that use JDBC to do that...

Here is my question: What is the best way, among all of those, of using a FMP database on the web? I need you advices, cause I'm not sure of witch technology is the best one...

Thanks a lot!

Christian

"I read about the WebCompanion that allow us to easily put a FMP database on the web"

Realize that the "easily" part is a sales pitch. Basically that applies to a very simple Instant Web Publishing solution. Most people on these forums use Custom Web Publishing. That is where the cdml reference comes in real handy. Be aware that the examples provided by FMI in some instance REQUIRE JavaScript to be successful. If you already write html and JavaScript you will have fewer problems.

Go through these Internet forums and read as many threads as possible. Much has already been discussed here and there is a lot of valuable information already available. You will be well advised to find THE security thread. Went on for over half a year. It was started by chazboi. This thread has over 70 posts. I forget the topic name. I think it was on the WebCompanion forum and may be under this year's date.

Then there is the ScriptMaker issue, also widely discussed. My site successfully handles ScriptMaker scripts.

While not necessarily easy to accomplish, once you get through the learning curve(s) you will find you can create quite powerful and robust solutions.

Keep in mind that a browser solution is a stateless solution. The browser (client) is not in constant contact with a db file; data handling is accomplished by touch and place or snatch using cdml tags. This is different from the peer-to-peer solutons where the user is in constant contact with a db file and can "own" a record.

This topic is 8045 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.