Inventory - tracking individuals and sets of items

This topic is 7714 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is a test file in response to this thread

Rob-Jones Books and Sets of Books Inventory Problem

sit here, zip 2 posts down

Again, please note that this is only a test file, and that some calcs will need to be modified in order to have an accurate view of the number of sets you can actually invoice. Remove the control by calc "check availables =1" in the field Quantity in the Line Item Invoice file to see exactly how one set sold affects the inventory count on the articles from the set.

dilucaugo68 , You are one smart dude!

It will probably take me all week to reverse-engineer the files you posted, but that looks like it's exactly what I need. Thanks!!

But you did bring up another problem that I am going to have further down the road. We use a separate program for invoicing and general bookkeeping (MYOB). It doesn't have a way to link to external data. I really don't like MYOB, but it's been in use here since long before I came on board.

Any ideas if it can be made to work??

Hi,

I don't know much about MYOB (maybe Applescript would support it, but not so sure...).

But any inventory is linked to both Purchases and Invoices. How do you keep your Purchases, and on what basis are records entered in MYOB ?

I'm glad this test file could be of some help. Again, please note that this is only a test file, and that some calcs will need to be modified in order to have an accurate view of the number of sets you can actually invoice. Remove the control by calc "check availables =1" in the field Quantity in the Line Item Invoice file to see exactly how one set sold affects the inventory count on the articles from the set.

Basically, this is how it works right now:

MYOB is used for all bookkeeping, invoicing and purchasing. When a new customer order is placed in MYOB, a packing slip goes out to the warehouse. from there the order is pulled and the packing slip goes back to bookkeeping once the order ships. Then it's changed to an invoice and sent to the customer. If a large order comes in, we have to go out to the warehouse and actually count everything to see if we can fill the order. If we need anything (we usually do), a replenishment order is placed with our vendors using MYOB.

As you can see, there is room for improvement. As it is right now, Purchasing, Invoicing and Inventory are not linked. It can be a real headache if several large customer orders come in at once. It gets worse if we know certain items are on order and have to be accounted for when counting inventory.

This is the point of the database. Somebody will still have to keep all the counts in the DB current, but it will be much easier to manage than our current "system".

I bought some handheld scanners for the warehouse staff to use when packing or unpacking inventory. But until the DB is in use, they aren't much use. The data can be downloaded from the scanners into the DB at the end of each day. This will give me a fairly accurate picture of what's going on in the warehouse. Of course, as replenishment orders arrive, they will be scanned as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.